|This article or section is likely to dramatically change once Battle of Azeroth begins.
|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
- Were you looking for Zandalari Isle, the zone some speculated might to be added in Mists of Pandaria?
- Not to be confused with Yojamba Isle.
Zandalar is or was the island homeland of the Zandalar tribe, and all other tribes of trolls in Azeroth. It is located somewhere in the South Seas and the dominant region and capital city is Zuldazar.
It is the center of Troll civilization in the world currently. It is a solid center with its satellite strongholds of Zul'Gurub (in Stranglethorn Vale), and Zul'Aman (in the Ghostlands, north-east Lordaeron). The trolls aim to retake their former lands and recreate their ancient empire.
Once part of ancient Kalimdor, Zandalar is the birthplace of troll civilization, and, as such, is strictly neutral territory for trolls. When the first Well of Eternity imploded, a hole was punched through Kalimdor. Deep fissures appeared in the continent, and the Zandalari hastily cast strong protective spells to save their home from destruction. Even so, they could not shield the rest of the continent from widespread upheaval. The ground immediately beyond the Zandalari's shield was drawn underwater when Kalimdor broke into separate landmasses. When at last the Sundering was over, the Zandalari saw that their home had become an island.
Trolls dominate Zandalar, all trolls, from jungle to ice, consider Zandalar their homeland. It is neutral territory for their kind, so trolls don’t battle each other when on Zandalar. The same courtesy doesn’t extend toward other races, though, and Zandalar’s trolls are a wicked and voodoo-worshipping bunch who delight in slaying their enemies and devouring their remains. As such, not even goblin merchants are safe on this island, and visitors face stalking, axe- and spear-wielding danger from every green shadow.
Every 6 years, trolls from all tribes from all over the world congregate in Zandalar to discuss matters that affect all trolls. Desert and ice trolls rub shoulders with jungle and forest trolls. They meet at Zuldazar, their capital city (which looks like a mountain.)
Most of the native trolls here are jungle trolls, though ice trolls live atop Mount Mugamba’s snowy peak. The trolls here are bigger, stronger and nastier than all other trolls (well almost--the Drakkari of Northrend are a bit bigger). King Rastakhan, an ancient and formidable witch doctor and keeper of troll lore, rules from Zuldazar. Trolls often have trouble working with each other, despite the conferences on Zandalar.
Zandalar is tropical and lush. Mount Mugamba is by far the highest peak on the island, rising from its center. Troll ziggurats, the domains of troll shamans, priests and witch doctors, are scattered throughout the jungle, as are troll totems and huts.
Zandalar boasts impressive wildlife as well, and is a prime hunting ground. Bright fish, hermit crabs, birds and monkeys dwell in the waters or jungle. In addition, more interesting prey attracts the discerning hunter: tigers, hydras, lions and couatl. A few makrura inhabit the area as well. Warm weather and rain are constant (except on Mugamba, where the rain turns to snow).
In World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
In Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
It is revealed that Zandalar may have been destroyed during the Cataclysm.
In Mists of Pandaria EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Taoshi mentions in the quest that the Zandalari bolster Lei Shen's army with war beasts and troops from Zandalar, proving that Zandalar was not destroyed in the cataclysm.
In Battle for Azeroth EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth.
- Prepare the Horde for war by recruiting the ancient empire of Zandalar. In this troll-dominated territory, ancient evil waits to be unleashed on the world as you battle crazed blood-troll worshippers, gargantuan dinosaurs, and titan constructs. Discover Zuldazar, the oldest city in Azeroth; unveil the bleak swamps of Nazmir; and traverse the deadly deserts of Vol'dun.
This expansion will finally fully introduce the island empire to adventurers.
- Characters of level 108 or higher should be able to enter the Zandalar, but unless they are highly geared, they will likely have some trouble.
- Fan art
- ^ Lands of Mystery, 83
- ^ a b Lands of Mystery, 81
- ^ [Daily] , Nat Pagle says: A buddy of mine caught one of these off the coast of Zandalar a few years back. He barely made it back alive, actually. Pesky trolls, but great fishing!.
- ^ On the Isle of Reckoning, says: We NEED dis land! Da cataclysm destroyed our home!
- ^ https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/battle-for-azeroth