|Race||Clockwork giant (Mechanical)|
|Health||22.5M (Heroic) / 5M (Normal)|
- Gravity Bomb: After 9 seconds, the Gravity Bomb spawns at the player's location: Pulls enemies within 12 yards into a gravity well, dealing 11700 to 12300 (HC: 14625 to 15735) damage. The pull in range is a bit larger than the damaging range.
- Light Bomb: Debuffs the target to deal 2750 (Heroic: 3500) AoE damage per tick.
- Tympanic Tantrum: Deals damage equal to 10% of each player's maximum health every 1 sec for 8 sec. Nearby enemies are also dazed for the duration. One minute cooldown.
- Enrage: After 10 minutes, the Deconstructor enrages.
- Heartbreak: Activated when killing the Exposed Heart, engaging hard mode and healing the boss to full: The heart of the XT-002 Deconstructor has been severed, removing the combat limitations of the XT-002 Deconstructor. Damage increased by 15%. Health increased by 50%. (25-man: 15% damage and 60% health) XT-002 will no longer summon adds or have exposed heart phases, but any adds summoned during the breaking of the heart will need to be dealt with.
- Void Zone: Gravity Bombs summon a Void Zone that deals Shadow damage to enemies that stand within it. 5000 damage on 10-man, 7500 on 25-man.
- Life Spark: Light Bombs summon a Life Spark that deals damage to nearby enemies. The Sparks have Static Charged, which deals Nature damage to all enemies within 500 yards every 3 sec. 800 damage on 10-man, 2000 on 25-man.
As with all Wrath of the Lich King raids, a standard raid composition is OK. No special resistances or equipment are needed. In Normal 10-man mode, damage dealers should average about 3,000 DPS (3,500 DPS if using only 5 damage dealers). Normal 25-man requires the entire raid to output approximately 60,000 DPS. Heroic 25-man mode requires damage dealers to provide 5,000 DPS each.
Phase 1 consists of a fairly standard tank-and-spank. The fight enters phase 2 when the boss is at 75%, when it takes a 20-second "nap," during which it exposes its heart and summons adds. After that, Phase 1 continues until at 50% (and 25% again) a Phase 2 takes place.
Gravity Bomb and Light Bomb
Each raid member must learn to deal with these two debuffs. Since they both are a threat to other raid members, debuffed players must separate from the raid as fast as possible. Melee can set up in a circle around the Deconstructor, since it has no cleave or short-range AoE. Healers and ranged DPS should stay 10 yards away from tanks and melee, and then agree on one of the following set-up possibilities:
- Concentrate on one spot
- Distribute over two spots within healing range of each other
- Form one long line with about half a yard (an arm's length) between players (tank healers first, raid healers next, ranged DPS furthest away from the boss)
- Form two shorter parallel lines, 6 yards apart
It's also possible to set up in a wide circle around the tank spot, with as much space between players as possible (preferably around 10 yards).
The Deconstructor keeps the two Bomb debuffs up at all times (that is as soon as one of them expires on a player, another player gets it), except during Tantrum, when the Bomb debuffs are not refreshed. The two players with Bomb debuffs must run away from all other players, either to explode in safety (Gravity Bomb), or in order not to damge others (Light Bomb). Gravity Bomb does not kill, so if that player starts at full health, no healing is required. Light Bomb can kill, for that reason one healer should be assigned to put a HoT or two on the current Light Bomb victim.
Even with fast player reaction, Light Bomb inevitably deals some AoE damage to the raid. The raid healer(s) need to be quick to AoE heal this.
Once per minute, the boss casts Tympanic Tantrum. The one-minute cooldown is reset by exposing the heart (getting below 75%, 50% or 25% respectively), so high-DPS groups can completely avoid Tantrum. If the boss casts Tantrum, every raid member takes 80% damage within 8 seconds, and is slowed by about 40%. This means that AoE healing must be well organized so that nobody dies from this damage, and that the raid should be on top health prior to Tantrum. The standard avoidance methods do work, but reduce DPS (which may prove fatal). Hunter Deterrence is ineffective but Rogue Feint does reduce Tantrum damage. The damage can also be mitigated by a paladin's Divine Sacrifice coupled with Hand of Protection or Divine Shield, as well as a Discipline-specced priest's shield (with a shorter cooldown from Soul Warding, and 3% raid-wide damage mitigation from Renewed Hope).
Phase 2: Exposed Heart and Adds
Whenever the boss gets below a 25% threshold (at 75%, 50% and 25%), it switches for 30 seconds to Phase 2. During this time, the boss itself cannot be targeted, but it exposes its heart and takes double damage, and adds are summoned. Three types of adds spawn from the scrap heaps in the four corners of the room:
- XS-013 Scrapbot: heals XT-002 for 60k each if they reach it.
- XE-321 Boombot: explode for ~16k fire damage when their health reaches 50%, damaging players and NPCs in range.
- XM-024 Pummeler: these deal low single-target damage.
The Scrapbots need to be AoE'd down and must not reach the boss. They are susceptible to most snares (stun, frost nova, knockback, etc.). The Boombots should be single targeted and nuked by ranged. It is best if they explode when surrounded by scrapbots or near the Heart. The Pummelers should simply be off-tanked and kited during the whole fight around the room. No damage dealer should ever target a Pummeler.
Scrapbots spawn in ~7-10 groups of 5. The groups can appear simultaneously and at varying times. Have people keep an eye out and call out where and when they are coming. When scrapbots get closer to the raid group, they need to be AOE'd down immediately (a Priest using Mind Sear can help reduce the number of DPS wasted on scrapbots). Boombots need to be DPS'ed when they are near the Heart or scrapbots (or when not close to players). from Engineers can be extremely helpful to stop the closest Scrapbots, stunning all mechanicals within roughly 20 yards for 3 seconds.
When the heart goes back up into the boss and XT becomes targettable again, the remaining active adds stay alive.
The Heart has 7M hitpoints in Heroic mode (1.5 M in normal mode). Since the heart takes double damage, and all damage it takes is passed through to the boss, every damage dealer should try to concentrate on the Heart as much as possible. Melee should stay on the heart exclusively during the whole phase. Even healers can deal some damage in this phase, Mana permitting (else healers can use this phase to regenerate a little). While it's desirable to deal as much damage to the heart as possible, destroying it invokes hard mode, pay attention that this doesn't happen by accident.
Bloodlust should be used during a heart phase and extra attention should be paid not to trigger the hard mode if this is undesirable.
Dealing with a low DPS raid
If the raid's damage output is on the low side, the key is to maximize the damage done to the heart in phase 2. The idea is to divert two players to slow the adds down, while all other damage dealers concentrate on the heart. Position the boss close to two scrap heaps (and far away from the two others). The adds from the two far away heaps cannot reach the boss before the heart is retracted, thus two players (e.g. mages) are sufficient to slow down the adds from the two close heaps. As soon as the heart retracts, all ranged DPS nuke the adds.
The luck aspect of this fight is having XT-002 cast Tympanic Tantrum just before going into Enrage. This yields an extra 5–10 seconds DPS time, before he obliterates the raid. At this point, all healers (besides the one healing the Pummeler Tank) should give as much DPS as possible.
- New toys? For me? I promise I won't break them this time!
- Tympanic Tantrum
- NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
- Killing a player
- I... I think I broke it.
- I guess it doesn't bend that way.
- Heart Revealed
- So tired. I will rest for just a moment!
- Heart Closed
- I'm ready to play!
- Summoning Adds
- Time for a new game! My old toys will fight my new toys!
- I'm tired of these toys. I don't want to play anymore!
- You are bad... Toys... Very... Baaaaad!
The following achievements are for the encounter's hard mode.
25-man Hard mode encounter
- Hotfix (2009-08-05): "XT-002 Deconstructor will spawn in more adds for the regular 10-man raid. Focus on the extra Boombots that walk with the little Scrapbots so that they explode destroying the Scrapbots and each other. Before the patch, AoE from the players was used to bring the scrapbots down."
- Hotfix (2009-08-05): "XT-002 Deconstructor will now spawn in fewer adds."
- Hotfix (2009-06-11): "The XT-002 Deconstructor encounter has received the following changes: the health of the heart has been slightly reduced in heroic difficulty and the rate at which Gravity Bomb and Searing Light are cast has been reduced."
- Hotfix (2009-05-19): "The hit point increasing hard mode ability for XT-002 Deconstructor has been reduced to 50% in the 10 player Normal setting, and 60% in the 25 player Heroic setting. The corresponding damage increase for XT-002 has also been reduced to 15%. Life Sparks also have half of their previous hit point values."
- Hotfix (2009-05-04): "The health of the Heart of the Deconstructor in the XT-002 Deconstructor encounter has been reduced."
- Hotfix (2009-04-28): "The XT-002 Deconstructor encounter has received the following changes: The duration of Tympanic Tantrum has been reduced, the timer for XT-002 to hit berserk has been increased, the damage of Light Bomb has been reduced, the effect radius of Light Bomb has been reduced, and the health of XM-024 Pummeler has been reduced."
- Hotfix (2009-04-23): "The damage of XT-002 Deconstructor's Gravity Bomb ability has been reduced."
- Hotfix (2009-04-22): "The enrage timer on XT-002 Deconstructor has been increased."
- Hotfix (2009-04-21): "All of the additional creatures spawned during the XT-002 Deconstructor encounter can now be snared in either difficulty."
- Hotfix (2009-04-21): "It will be slightly more difficult to skip Tympanic Tantrum on XT-002 Deconstructor."
- Hotfix (2009-04-17): "XT-002 Deconstructor's health and damage has been slightly increased in hard mode."
- Hotfix (2009-04-17): "XT-002 Deconstructor will no longer cast Light Bomb or Gravity Bomb while channeling Tympanic Tantrum."
- Hotfix (2009-04-15): "We have altered XT-002 Deconstructor's heart aggro radius down to 60 yards so players will no longer get stuck in combat when at the entrance to his room."