A moderator is a new administrative position here at WoWWiki as of 2011. This is for the user who wants more powers and responsibilities to help cleanup and improve WoWWiki. They are like "admin lite" and will be first in line as candidates for becoming a full admin, if they choose to request a promotion.
What are moderators Edit
Moderators are cleaners, helpers, and mediators. They should defer to admins, but may actually have better negotiating skills or knowledge than some admins. They are part of the wiki maintenance team.
What moderators can do Edit
Moderators have several special abilities including:
- Moving and renaming articles
- Protecting pages (lock them from editing or moving)
- Deleting pages and images (remove them from the public database)
- Editing semi-protected and restricted pages
- Quickly rollback the edits of the last user who edited a particular page (rollback)
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled (autopatrol)
- Mark others' edits as patrolled (patrol)
- Deleting and editing comments (but they should always note if they do)
What they are not Edit
Moderators are not full admins. They shouldn't be asked to block other users. They can mediate disputes, but should not try to decide the issue. They are encouraged to suggest following of guidelines and policies (mostly by setting a good example), but are not expected to enforce them or threaten any kind of enforcement action.
Becoming a moderator Edit
Potential moderators, just like patrollers, are invited to the position by current admins. Number of high quality edits is a determining factor, but the ability to take direction when needed and remain level-headed is also very important. Once a person has been a moderator for a period of time they can then apply to become an administrator – and that is given based on community votes.
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled (autopatrol).
- Mark others' edits as patrolled (patrol).
- Quickly rollback the edits of the last user who edited a particular page (rollback).