|This article or section is a miscellaneous stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
|Directed by||Duncan Jones|
|Produced by||Thomas Tull,, Jon Jashni (Legendary)|
Charles Roven, Alex Gartner (Atlas)
Robert G. Tapert
|Written by||Charles Leavitt|
|Studio||Legendary Pictures, Atlas Entertainment|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Budget||Expected upwards of $100 million|
Warcraft is an upcoming fantasy epic based on the Warcraft series and set on the world of Azeroth. It was first announced in 2006 as a project partnership with Legendary Pictures, but since more than 6 years have past since the announcement, no director has been attached, and the film is still not in shooting, it may never be filmed.
Despite Blizzard's extremely poor PR support for a Warcraft movie, Legendary Entertainment continues to include mentions of their involvement with the Warcraft franchise in the standard boilerplate description of their company into mid 2012. Supposedly Activision-Blizzard's CEO, Bobby Kotick, still supports the making of the film. However, a general statemtent by Kotick to the New York Times about making movies out of game franchises could indicate that no properties of the company will ever be made into movies as long as he heads the company.
The film was originally set in the era of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. This was scrapped, however, as there were notions that it would be too similar to Lord of the Rings and that Warcraft had reached its current level of popularity through its MMORPG, rather than the previous RTS games.
As such, the movie is set one year before World of Warcraft and will primarily be told from the Alliance's point of view, though Metzen says his heart lies with the Horde. Characters such as Cairne Bloodhoof, Thrall, Sylvanas Windrunner, and Bolvar Fordragon are likely to make appearances. Arthas is unlikely to appear. At BlizzCon 2007, Chris Metzen said that the main character is set to be a new hero described as a "kick-ass Human" and an "Anti-Thrall". This new character in the movie is not same one as in the comic (now known to be Varian Wrynn).
Metzen also stated clearly that lore would be bent for the sake of the film, Varian Wrynn might have a twin.
Interestingly enough, the film is described as the "first film", raising obvious possibilities as to future installments.
Cast and crew
Executive Producer - Robert Tapert
Co-Producer - Chris Metzen
Producer - Charles Roven
Producer - Sam Raimi
Producer - Alex Gartner
Producer - Thomas Tull
Producer - Jon Jashni
Producer - Joshua Donen
Writer - Robert Rodat
On the 2/01/2013 Johnny Depp has been rumoured to have a role in the upcoming film.
In a May 9, 2006 press release, Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures (makers of Batman Begins and 300) announced that they will develop a live-action film set in the Warcraft universe. Legendary Pictures has acquired the movie rights for the game universe, and both companies are now focused on translating the Warcraft experience to the big screen. Read more about it in the press release.
The live-action film was set for release in 2009, but was later rescheduled to 2011. As of early 2012, the movie has still not been announced to be in production, so the chances of it being made are getting lower by the year. At Comic Con 2011, Chris Metzen said the movie was not dead, but gave few useful details saying it was still in the "treatment stage". In mid-March 2012, Nethaera said the movie is "still on the radar" with no other update.
On July 22, 2009, Blizzard Entertainment announced that Sam Raimi would become the Warcraft movie director, but in July 2012 he told Crave Online that he would not direct due to committing to the movie Oz: The Great and Powerful.
Uwe Boll attempted to apply for the job of director, from which Blizzard CEO Paul Sams replied "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you…especially not to you."
According to IMDB, the manuscript writer will be Chris Metzen. (Jesse Wigutow was mentioned, but has been removed). IMDB information on pre-release movies should be taken as suspect, though. IMDB generally only removes false information if someone reports it.
At BlizzCon 2008, according to Mike Morhaime, a script was being written.Chris Metzen mentioned that the film will be action-packed and violent, stating "We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft."
In 2012 a 'blue poster' said he was really looking forward to see the movie. I guess the Warcraft Movie will be released someday.
- ^ a b c Fred Topel 2012-07-13. Comic Con 2012 Exclusive: Sam Raimi Won't Direct the World of Warcraft Movie. Crave Online. “Actually, they don’t have me directing World of Warcraft anymore because when I took the Oz job, they had to move on to another director,” Raimi said. “They had to start making it.”
- ^ a b c d e f g Jeff Sneider, Marc Graser 2012-08-02. 'World of Warcraft' drafts new scribe Legendary sparks to Charles Leavitt take on fantasy tale. Variety.com.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2006-05-09. BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT® AND LEGENDARY PICTURES TO PRODUCE LIVE-ACTION WARCRAFT® MOVIE. Web.Archive.org. Archived from the original on 2007-11-25.
- ^ LG Electronics 2012-07-11. LG Electronics' First-Ever Appearance At Comic-Con Showcases Groundbreaking 3D And HD Technology (via PR Newswire). The Sacramento Bee.
About Legendary Entertainment
Legendary Entertainment is a leading media company with film (Legendary Pictures), ...Among the wholly-owned projects that Legendary Pictures is currently developing in-house are the upcoming Seventh Son, directed by Sergei Bodrov; the Jackie Robinson biopic 42; an adaptation of the phenomenally successful interactive game universe Warcraft;...
- ^ Jeff Sneider, Marc Graser 2012-08-02. 'World of Warcraft' drafts new scribe Legendary sparks to Charles Leavitt take on fantasy tale. Variety.com. “While Activision Blizzard-chief Bobby Kotick has held off on brokering film deals for his company's games, he told Variety if it's 'important to Blizzard, it's important to me. They're very excited about having a World of Warcraft film. They've been very careful and thoughtful about the development process.'”
- ^ AMY CHOZICK 2012-12-15. At Activision, a Hero and Villain, Zapped Into One. New York Times. “CALL OF DUTY may look like a movie, but Mr. Kotick has little interest in turning it into one — and has turned down several studios’ requests. He says movies based on video games rarely please devoted fans and could taint the brand.”
- ^ a b Charles Onyett 2007-08-04. BlizzCon 2007: New Details of the Warcraft Movie. IGN (PC).
- ^ Medievaldragon 2008-01-23. Blizzcon 2007 Videos (see Legendary Pictures Panel – Day 2 – Saturday 4th 2007). Blizzplanet.
- ^ a b c Blizzcon 07 Legendary Pictures panel
- ^ Amanda Rivera 2007-08-04. Liveblogging the BlizzCon movie panel. WoW Insider.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT® AND LEGENDARY PICTURES SIGN SAM RAIMI TO DIRECT UPCOMING WARCRAFT® MOVIE)
- ^ Russ Frushtick 2009-10-12. Exclusive: 'WarCraft' Movie Taps 'Saving Private Ryan' Screenwriter. MTV.com.
- ^ a b Michael McWhertor 2007-08-04. Warcraft Movie Details Revealed At BlizzCon. Kotaku.com.
- ^ Medievaldragon 2009-10-12. Sam Raimi Announces Robert Rodat as Warcraft Film writer. Retrieved on 2009-10-18.
- ^ Pete Haas 2010-07-22. Comic Con: World Of Warcraft Movie Isn't Dead But It's Nowhere Close To Happening. Cinema Blend.
- ^ Nethaera 2012-03-15. #10 - World of Warcraft Movie. Official Movies, TV and Entertainment forum (US). It's still on the radar. We just don't have any current updates to provide.
- ^ Shawn Adler 2008-04-18. Uwe Boll Won't Ever Be Entering The World Of Warcraft. Retrieved on 2009-06-01.
- ^ IMDB information on pre-release movies should be taken as suspect, though. IMDB generally only removes false information if someone reports it. Warcraft (????). IMDB.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-11.
- ^ Alex Billington 2008-10-15. World of Warcraft Movie Still on the Horizon?. FirstShowing.net.
- ^ Red Baylon 2010-07-31. Cosplay Goddess Alodia to be in WoW movie. Japanator.com.
- ^ Fated Blue 2010-08-21. It’s official: Alodia will be on the World of Warcraft movie. The 9th Soul (Anima9.Wordpress.com) blog.