|Dalaran----The city of Mages|
|Races|| Human |
|Affiliation||Kirin Tor, Alliance|
Dalaran (aka Dalaran City) is a magocratic city-state which is located by the Lordamere Lake on the Alterac Mountains shore in the Eastern Kingdoms. . The Kirin Tor rule the single city. Its inner fortress, the Violet Citadel, has served as the focal point for magi and the study of the arcane throughout human history. The city-state's national color is violet and its flag is a yellow, possibly golden, eye set against a light purple background.
Pages I created
Dalaran was one of several kingdoms that emerged as the Empire of Arathor declined (see Seven Kingdoms and The Seven Kingdoms). Long ago, most human magicians lived in Strom. Many fledgling wizards left the restraining confines of Strom behind and traveled to Dalaran, where they hoped to use their new powers with greater freedom. Wanting a place more suited to extensive use and study of magic, they traveled north to the recently founded city of Dalaran, located in the Alterac Mountains region. There these magicians used their skills to build up the enchanted spires of Dalaran and reveled in the pursuit of their studies. More wizards followed, and the city became a haven for magi and a center of arcane study. The citizens of Dalaran tolerated the magicians' endeavors and built up a bustling economy under the protection of their magic-using defenders. With the mages of Dalaran protecting the inhabitants who weren't magic-users with powerful protection spells, Dalaran became a decadent, extravagant paradise. Dalaran was also built atop a massive ley line.
This overuse of magic with no proper protection or regulation, though, acted as a beacon for the Burning Legion, luring them back to Azeroth. Demons slipped through the gaps in reality, terrorizing the locals until the ruling Magocrats were forced to turn to the elves for aid. High Elf wizards quickly realized what had happened and warned that humanity would have to give up magic to subdue the threat completely. The Magocrats, unwilling to sacrifice their power, instead proposed selecting a mortal champion to protect them from the Legion. This Guardian would have access to all their might, and would form a secret defense for the world. The elves agreed and, through the newly formed Order of Tirisfal, provided guidance in the selection. At the same time, the Magocrats sent some of their number to research and catalog all human magic. These wizards became the Kirin Tor.
The Kirin Tor became the city’s ruling power. Dalaran, though not a large city, was a beautiful place of towering spires and glittering streets, and the people there were happy and well protected. The Kirin Tor’s headquarters was the Violet Citadel, an impressive building so named for its stone walls which gave off a faint violet light. The building had many libraries, research chambers, testing rooms, classrooms, meeting alcoves, and bedrooms.
During the Second War, Dalaran entered the Alliance of Lordaeron in order to help fight the invading Horde. After the war, Teron Gorefiend and his Death Knights, aided by Deathwing, were able to succcessfully enter Dalaran's Arcane vault and steal the Eye of Dalaran from it.
Later, Dalaran found itself powerless to stop Prince Arthas and his forces when he led the Scourge through Lordaeron. Arthas acquired the spellbook of Medivh, which Kel'Thuzad utilized to summon Archimonde, who destroyed Dalaran. The city was left in ruins.
Dalaran is split into several inter-faction zones, and 2 faction only zones. These are:
- The Violet Citadel (Seat of the Kirin Tor faction.)
- The Eventide
- Krasus' Landing (Flight master is located here.)
- Magus Commerce Exchange (Main trade district)
- Runeweaver Square (The city's central plaza.)
- Violet Gate (Where portals first take you.)
- The Legerdemain Lounge (Neutral Inn, North-central area)
- The Underbelly (Sewers below the city.)
|Instance Name||Level Range||Group Size||Approximate Run Time|
|The Violet Hold||75-77||5 man||30 min|
There are 2 major factions in Dalaran. These
- Main article: Dalaran NPCs
The High Council
- Main article: Council of Six
- Archmage Antonidas - Leader of Dalaran During the First,Second and Third Wars.
- Krasus - Consort to the Dragon Queen Alexstraza
- Kel'thuzad - Studier of Necromancy,Member of The Scourge
- Modera - The longest-standing member.
- Ansirem Runeweaver - Known member of the council.
- - Archmage Arugal - Standing member studing Worgen
- - Kael'thas Sunstrider - High Elven Member of the Council
Other notable residents
|History||First&Second Wars||Invasion of the Scourge|
Getting to Dalaran
Points of interest
- There are 12 mailboxes, one outside The Filthy Animal inn and two outside The Legerdemain Lounge inn, two located outside the north bank and one located outside the south bank, one outside the Eastern entrance to The Underbelly, one outside the Alchemy trainer, one in Krasus' Landing, one at the foot of the stairway leading to The Violet Citadel, one outside A Hero's Welcome, and one outside the Guild Master.
- As pointed out from above there are two banks, one located right from the statue of Antonidas and another located on the other side of Dalaran in The Eventide, to the left of the entrance of A Hero's Welcome. Although they are both near the faction controlled areas, they are available to both the Alliance and the Horde.
- The well near the Magus Commerce Exchange is an entrance to the Underbelly, when you jump into it you arrive randomly at one of four possible sites in the Underbelly. Jumping down will not give any fall damage.
- All profession trainers (except Fishing, Cooking and Archaeology) are located in the Magus Commerce Exchange.
- All mage trainers are located in the Violet Gate.