|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 2.3.0.
*This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained.
The Tempest Key was the key to enter the Eye of Tempest Keep, the inner sanctum of Kael'thas Sunstrider. The Tempest Key was not used like an actual key; instead, it was a passive item like the Drakefire Amulet that attuned the player to the instance.
After it was removed as the key, players who completed the chain earned the title Champion of the Naaru. Even this option was removed with Wrath.
Obtaining the Tempest Key Edit
The Tempest Key is given after a long quest chain that begins after completing the Cipher of Damnation quest chain (starts with  ) for in Shadowmoon Valley. Upon completing the Cipher quest, you will receive (immediately) a letter in the mail from Khadgar, asking you to travel to Shattrath City to speak to him.
-  : Khadgar instructs you to speak to A'dal, who sends you on a series of trials.
-  : A'dal sends you to the Shattered Halls of Hellfire Citadel to retrieve the . You must kill all three of the bosses in the Halls. This MUST be done on Heroic difficulty.
-  : This requires two instance runs, both on Heroic: You must kill Warlord Kalithresh in the Steamvault of Coilfang Reservoir and retrieve , then travel to the Shadow Labyrinth in Auchindoun, destroy Murmur, and take .
-  : Enter the Arcatraz - a satellite of Tempest Keep - and rescue Millhouse Manastorm. This must be done on Heroic difficulty.
Upon completing all four quests, A'dal will grant you the Tempest Key (along with ) and you will be allowed to enter The Eye, Kael'thas' sanctum, for the final confrontation with the "Sun King".
-  / 
- This opens up the search for the three parts of the key.
- [70 G5]
Keys required for quests Edit
The following Heroic entry keys are required, and you must be Honored with a certain faction to obtain them:
- Flamewrought Key (Honor Hold/Thrallmar): Unlocks Heroic mode in Hellfire Citadel.
- Reservoir Key (Cenarion Expedition): Unlocks Heroic mode in Coilfang Reservoir.
- Auchenai Key (Lower City): Unlocks Heroic mode in Auchindoun.
- Warpforged Key (Sha'tar): Unlocks Heroic mode in Tempest Keep.
- The Shattered Halls, Shadow Labyrinth, and The Arcatraz also have their own entry keys; however, only one person in the group with the key or a lockpicker is required to get past them.