I've completely reworked the patterns table(s), and expanded them to include all the recipes that I can find reference to (including two dubious ones, listed at the end). The previous table only listed up to a skill of ~190, so it's now rather enormous in comparison, but at least comprehensive. I've split the table up by mastery level. Required skill level, and skill-up colours were updated and all moved to the one column for space/reading efficiency. Reputation/specialization requirements and restrictions of other kinds (factional, seasonal) are all included in a new column, which I think makes good sense. I also cleaned up some of the wording in other sections of the page, though didn't expand anything greatly -- W.woods 15:06, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
Update: now converted the tables to use AJAX code which not only loads them as collapsed, but also avoids the download of any of their contained data until they're clicked on. As part of this, patterns were divided up by mastery level and given their own pages that are effectively transcluded back into this one. This means (i) the page loads much faster and helps reduce the effects of server issues, (ii) users who are only interested in a particular range of patterns won't be spammed with everything, but also (iii) still allows users to view all tables at once if they so wish. See WoWWiki_talk:Village_pump#Possible_change_to_Leatherworking_.28and_maybe_other_craft.29_recipe_lists for the discussion that lead to this. -- W.woods (talk) 10:18, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
Points still to consider:
- It would be nice, but probably not all that important, if all the tables were the same width, and the columns lined up, without resorting to setting hard widths (I'm using % widths). This is really only obvious on wide monitors where the tables can stretch out to their max. desired width. One way of doing this would be to have all recipes in one table. However I'm not aware of being able to insert Table of Contents refs within sections of a table.
- It'd also be nice to have icons next to each craftable item. However I think this requires switching from using the loot to the item template, and the latter seems to give the server a heart attack when used in excess.
- A lot of the green skill level points are missing. I'm trying to determine more of these using a new character.
- From the tables it is obvious that a number of patterns do not yet have their own pages (or at least it was obvious until recently... with the current ifexist issues, there are a lot of items in the tables that appear to have no page but really do)
- A few of the "Trainer" sourced recipes are also listed on various databases as being available from rare pattern drops. In these cases I've omitted the drop info. Many of these are from the days before they were made trainable, and so the drop information may be well out of date, and in any case has little worth.
-- W.woods 15:06, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- I'd suggest putting this on Village Pump as a point of discussion. There are people that were involved with the creation of that code that will probably want to weigh in, and won't see this --w.woods (talk) 10:09, 15 June 2008 (UTC)
Items out of date
I decided to start a shaman alt and went to look at all the low level leather recipes available only to discover that many of them have been changed in one patch or another. For example the spirit on the fine leather items has been replaced with spell power and several of the embossed items have been made uncommon with stats added. Armour values have also been changed on some items. I think i have fixed up the apprentice items but there are a lot to go through and cross reference to make sure they are up to date. I will be working through the journeyman recipes next when i have free time but help would be appreciated. I am using Wowhead as a reference, i think their data is pulled directly from the game. -- Exiton (talk) 18:38, September 10, 2009 (UTC)
- All Apprentice recipes have been double checked -- Exiton (talk) 00:08, September 12, 2009 (UTC)
- Journeyman Recipes up to and including 105 skill have been checked and updated -- Exiton (talk) 00:36, September 12, 2009 (UTC)