About this page (March 2008)Edit
As I have mentioned in the introduction, tankadins' gear mechanics is complicated----the most complicated among all classes of all specs imo. So much so to the degree that the current wowwiki page concerning paladin tanking gear is so full of wrong stuff (BC tanking equipment (paladin), check the discussion. Though I may help clean up it later). Therefore, I think it is important to have a page to introduce the basics of paladin tanks gear mechanics.
I intentionally keep the article as concise as possible for easier reading, so you may find that a lot statements are unexplained. If you want to know the details of how those things are derived, you can do some search at: Maintankadin forum.
Feel free to help correct any mistakes you see (including grammatical mistakes :P ). Nevertheless, as some of the comments here maybe "controversial" in the eye of the inexperienced (e.g. some people still think intellect is important, or you don't know why defense > dodge before uncrushable and dodge > defense after). If you have such suspicion, please discuss here first or do some research at the forum. It will be the best if you have some backup when amending factual statement. WakemanCK 06:42, 4 March 2008 (UTC)
BTW, I prefer the enchant suggestion of pre-raiding gear section in the form of +150 health instead of because the numerical values are more direct and easier for all of us to remember. People normally spam in /2 "wtb +150 hp to chest" instead of "wtb enchant chest - exceptional health", isn't it? WakemanCK 05:30, 15 March 2008 (UTC)
Block value Edit
Could somebody please edit this page to include Block Value? I'm not really sure what it is compared to Block Rating and how important it is when choosing gear. Any help would be appreciated. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ksachdev (talk · contr).
- Right, this needs to be mentioned. I added a paragragh about it. In short, block value is helpful but not strictly necessary for beginner tanks. WakemanCK (talk) 02:49, 7 May 2008 (UTC)
Further explanation priority Edit
I've been tanking for a while now, and got really confused by this:
- We do NOT need to get uncrushable anymore.
- We need strength now for threat and damage mitigation.
First of all, nice, we don't have to be uncrushable anymore. It's still nice, to not get damaged and to get mana, but we don't HAVE to. Second, and this is where my jaw dropped out of confusion; Strength? For threath generation?
Retri pallies have a talent that turns attack power into Spell damage. For prot pallies, this is Stamina. Did the writer confuse the two?
- Check this post: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=15212, should solve your suspicion. Cheers! WakemanCK (talk) 10:34, 29 October 2008 (UTC)
Pre-Kara tank gear guide Edit
Some information on this page looks like it has been derived from
- No, it was not. I know because I am the main author. Anyway, it is not surprising that you had such speculation, as paladins and warriors tanking gear partly overlapped during TBC. Actually, this article was written earlier than the one you quoted. I wonder whether your article was partly derived from the one here. =/ WakemanCK (talk) 07:38, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Mostly fixed Edit
I fixed most of the article, including seeding the gear section with just the tempered saronite stuff. Gaps I left are
- Most rep reward and quest gear
- Details about block and avoidance (and I don't really understand diminishing returns right now)
- Starting numbers for raids
And I have a funny feeling the the whole article should just say "strength + stam + def = tank gear" and not worry about the details. It sure isn't as complex as it used to be. Quamarett (talk) 21:06, 25 November 2008 (UTC)
- Good job!
- I will contribute more later but now I need to level up my toons to 80 first. :P WakemanCK (talk) 03:21, 26 November 2008 (UTC)
I added most, if not all, of the reputation rewards. I added in a note at the top about championing to gain reputation and also a note at the bottom about the engineering epic tank goggles.--Wakleon (talk) 04:16, 1 December 2008 (UTC)