Complete redesign Edit
Taking a page out of an example for our Engineering_recipes page, I'm thinking we can resign this page to resemble it somewhat. I like the tidy layout of the Engie Recipes page without this massive table here. Now, not that I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished, but I think we can copy this, include BOP and BOE world drop plans without having to list every single material needed-that's what the item links are for. We can definitely keep the 'Skillup' table if necessary but I don't think it's altogether too necessary since we can include a linked guide for any 1-300 or 1-375 powerlevels.
I'll get started on this today. Any further opinions on this?
Complete redesign, take 2 Edit
Since the poster above hasn't done anything yet, I've decided to redesign the tables on this page. I started with the Apprentice table. I do think a full table like this is more useful than just a list of recipes, especially with the tooltips that I added when you mouseover the items.
I am unsure of whether or not I want to keep the skillup level information. I know some people find it useful, but it is difficult to verify, and I suspect that the original creator may have just taken the information from Thottbot. I've found a few errors on Thottbot since starting this project. I'm leaning toward getting rid of this info here - This information should be found in a blacksmithing leveling guide.
- note to self: add a category column so it can be sorted by type of item, like it is in game (ex: Dagger, Plate, Mail, etc.) -- Mordsith - (talk|contr) 12:10, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
- naming convention for source column for easier sorting: Vendor, Blacksmithing Trainer, Faction, Static drop, World Drop, Quest (look for quest template instead maybe) -- Mordsith - (talk|contr) 14:36, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
- For level-up skills, Thottbot is often very inaccurate, but you can cross-check Wowhead, Allakahzam and Thottbot and you'll come up with an accurate list. The former two are probably a lot more accurate, and I think most of this info is gathered by datamining, not by player testing --w.woods (talk) 04:23, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
Multiple tables Edit
I just realized that the "Blacksmithing Plans" menu on the top right on this page links to entirely different tables. Once these tables have been fully populated, they do get very long, so it's probably a good idea not to transclude them here, but this page would then need to be filled in with some other information to avoid being a stub.
I think I will adjust the menu so that it points to the tables I'm editing. These tables seem to belong to the naming convention of most other profession tables, and they use the wowwiki preferred darktable format.
This page would need to be filled in a bit more though. I'd have to reread the Blacksmithing page and see if some of that could be moved to this Recipes page. This page should also say something about how most recipes require Blacksmithing Hammer and Anvil, though there are exceptions. If anyone else wants to write up that blurb, feel free. I prefer the more technical aspects of this instead of the creative writing. -- Mordsith - (talk|contr) 03:23, 3 January 2008 (UTC)
Suggestions based on JC / LW redesign Edit
Good to see that Blacksmithing recipes are getting some loving :) I had a few suggestions, following my experiences with redesigning the jewelcrafting and leatherworking recipe pages. We had some discussions at the time and Pcj ended up creating some AJAX code to allow for tables to be included in a collapsed format, without actually loading the data. So the recipe pages are now much faster to initially load, and users who don't want to see all recipes from every skill level aren't overwhelmed with irrelevant data. If you wish to use the collapsed / unloaded table format, the format in Leatherworking patterns or Jewelcrafting designs should be fairly easy to follow. "target=" is where you point it to the table to include. There's more info in Template_talk:Ajax. It was created following a discussion that is archived in WoWWiki_talk:Village_pump/Archive25#Collapsed_objects_without_autoloaded_data.3F. Other relevant points (from Pcj et al.) that came up during discussions when redoing those pages:
- Consider renaming / redirecting Blacksmithing recipes to Blacksmithing plans (and update the recipe link in Template:Blacksmithing)
- The transcluded table names: It was preferred that the "path" style names (e.g. Blacksmithing/RecipeTable/Apprentice) be renamed to plain English names, (e.g. "Apprentice blacksmithing plans"). That's what I did for JC and LW.
- Good luck! :)
- recipe -> plan: My general thought is that "a recipe is how you make the item", and "a plan" (or schematic, recipe, pattern, etc) is the object holding the recipe. Recipe is used for both concepts for cooking and alchemy, which complicates the matter a bit.
- Collapsed tables: Looked at the Leatherworking page. Um... See my comments there. :( --Eirik Ratcatcher (talk) 19:05, 13 June 2008 (UTC)