Though many scholars believe that all spiders trace their roots back to the ancient kingdom of Azjol-Nerub, the giant spiders of Kalimdor have made a claim to the shadowy corners of Ashenvale Forest. Though not necessarily evil, wild spiders can become fearsome opponents if they feel their nests have been defiled. ( Spiders are fond of using poison spit and throwing webs upon their opponents. They are found in almost every continent of )Azeroth and even in Outland, with the exception of deserts (such as Tanaris) and snowy peaks (such as Dun Morogh). However, spiders can also be found inside caves or dungeons of those regions generally related to quests.
HistoryThis section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (aka Warcraft I).
- Poisonous and huge, these spiders are found in dwellings long forgotten by time and man. Their bite is venomous, and their many legs make them an agile opponent. Having grown so large from years of hunting increasingly larger prey, they have learned to hide in dark places and attack from the shadows. ( )
- The Warlock clan have used their magiks to create the hideous abomination that they call spiders. Mutated from the smaller creatures commonly found in the area, these huge poison fanged beasts are twisted and predatory. While some are controlled by the Warlocks, many grow too large to maintain control over, and are released into the forbidden lands. These giant spiders lurk in dark, dank places and spin their webs, seeking to entrap the unwary. ( )
There are four models of spider: a tarantula-style with thicker, hairy legs, and three varieties of spindly-legged spiders. Smolderweb Hatchling, a miniature crystal spider, can be obtained as a small pet.
- Not skinnable. There are a few exceptions, though (mainly the new bone spiders from ).
- Usually drop webbing, spider legs, spinnerets, mandibles (or fangs), or spider meat as loot.
- Creeper spider
- Brown wolf spider
- Monstrous spider
- Black spider
- Bane spider
- Black Widow
- Bone spider
- Giant spider
- Spitting spider
- Venom spider
As a hunter pet
|Specialization (upon taming)|
|The Spider eats|
|The Spider comes with|
|All pets come with|
- Spiders can root enemies with place with their skill, Web, making them of special interest to some hunters. The spindly spider model, found both on Bloodmyst Isle and in Outland, makes a high-pitched screeching noise when it attacks, causing some hunters to use it to "creep out" other players.
/ Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Major changes:
- Gained new ability, (the long awaited) Web.
- Armor and Health had no bonus and now each has a +5% bonus.
- Damage had a +7% bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
As a critter
- Main article: Spider (critter)
Critter spiders seldom reach even 'large' size, and are never hazardous. (If they were, they'd be beasts!) They have been spotted in Ghostlands, Howling Fjord and Terokkar Forest, but they are also found in quite a number of instances, including (among others) Utgarde Keep and Pinnacle, Mana Tombs, and the Black Temple. Some quite modest sized ones have even been seen in Naxxramas.
As a companion