|Casting time||Instant cast|
|Cooldown||3 min (GCD 1.5 sec)|
Shadowfiend is a priest ability learned at level 42. It summons a combat Shadowfiend to fight with the priest for 12 seconds dealing shadow damage. A pet action bar appears for the priest to command and control its spells.
Using a sha-touched weapon will change the shadowfiend's appearance into that of a sha.
Modified by Edit
- The Shadowfiend grants up to 11 hits per use, although this number is usually 10. Its attack speed is 1.5 and it has a 12 second duration. It is rare but possible for it to get one final attack as it expires if it spawned adjacent to your target.
- The Shadowfiends' attacks are shadow damage and can be partially resisted but follow normal melee damage rules, therefore being capable of critical strikes, but also susceptible to misses, parries, dodges and glancing blows. This reduces the damage output of Shadowfiends considerably on higher level mobs (especially in raid encounters) and in PvP versus classes with high melee mitigation or shadow resistance.
- Shadowfiends deal shadow damage. Therefore, their damage can be increased by debuffs on the shadowfiends' target that increase shadow damage taken (e.g. "Curse of Elements") resulting in greater damage.
- Patch 2.1 implemented a normal petbar for the priest to further help the priest control his/her shadowfiend. The bar functions as a normal petbar, with Attack/Stay/Follow and all three modes of Passive/Defensive/Aggressive. The shadowfiend will spawn next to the priest in Defensive mode with on autocast, and it will immediately attack the priest's current target. Despite Shadowcrawl being on autocast, it will almost never use the spell on its own.
- If the Shadowfiend's target dies, it may pick another target at random, or it may simply return to the priest's side, both of which will cause it to waste time. Try to use the Shadowfiend on targets that will not die or otherwise become unattackable before it despawns.
- Shadowfiend takes on the buff of Bloodlust/Heroism if it is active when Bloodlust/Heroism is cast, and it will hit the mob faster.
- A macro to have the Shadowfiend use on your current target immediately after being summoned can result in extra damage over its duration in high-end raid gear. Additionally, macros bound to your other spells to have the shadowfiend re-cast Shadowcrawl can yield more damage.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): Shadowfiend no longer restores mana.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Shadowfiend uses the new Assist pet stance functionality.
- Patch 4.1.0 (26-Apr-2011): Known issue: The Shadowfiend summon does not always attack targets effectively.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): [Avoidance] (passive): Now reduces the damage your pet takes from area-of-effect damage by 90%, but no longer applies to area-of-effect damage caused by other players.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Health scaling increased. Now receives 30% of the master's spell power. Mana return increased to 5%, up from 4%. The Shadowfiend now returns mana when its melee attacks land, rather than when it deals damage. Movement speed normalized to player movement speed. Tooltip revised.
- Patch 2.1.2 (2007-06-19): This creature will now reset to full health when it is summoned. It will also automatically attack your current enemy target when it is summoned.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): This pet will now come into the game with full health and mana, including that gained from a percentage of its master’s stamina and intellect.; The Shadowfiend will now correctly attack your target even if it is neutral or non-aggressive.; Increased the Shadowfiend’s chance to hit higher level enemies.