The Searing Gorge is a contested zone in the Eastern Kingdoms for players in the 47-51 range. It is home to a group of exceptionally stout dwarves called the Thorium Brotherhood, who have split from the Dark Iron Clan. Except for them, the Dark Iron Clan have 2000+ dwarves in the gorge working on various things and also keeping a watching eye on the Thorium Brotherhood.
For the Alliance, the entrance to the Searing Gorge in Loch Modan is locked until the Key to Searing Gorge is obtained via a quest line that culminates in (level 48 quest). However, any Rogue with lockpicking of at least 225 can pick the doors. An alternate path can be found in the Badlands just south of Kargath. This is the primary Horde entrance, as they have no way of obtaining the key.
Just as Blackrock orcs and their allies dominate Burning Steppes, so Dark Iron dwarves dominate the Searing Gorge. A large population of Dark Iron dwarves, War Golems, and Elementals resides in this dark, mountainous area.
The climate is very similar to Burning Steppes, as it was the same catastrophe that blackened both: the summoning of Ragnaros. The Searing Gorge is a part of Khaz Modan. Before being shattered by the summoning it was a mountainous region, part of the Redridge Mountains.
Large mining operations take place in The Cauldron, a giant excavation site forming a huge rift in the middle of the Searing Gorge. The Slag Pit lies within The Cauldron and is an underground mining site rich with multiple types of ore. The mining work is mainly done by slave labour, which consists for the most part of captured enemies.
Ever since the Dark Iron dwarves' capital, Thaurissan, was destroyed by the summoning of Ragnaros, they have searched for a landmass to control for their filthy, industrious works. The Searing Gorge was the obvious choice due to a low military presence, scarce population, few settlements, and high vulnerability. The dwarven garrisons were soon overrun by a massive Dark Iron invasion which forced them to retreat to Loch Modan and seal the passage.
This area was normally sealed, and adventurers could only enter by traversing through Blackrock Mountain or by obtaining the Key to Searing Gorge, which follows a series of quests. Recently, however, the Horde garrisons stationed at Kargath, in the Badlands, have grown curious about the use of the area for tactical purposes, and have cut a narrow pass through the mountains south of their encampment.
Maps and subregions Edit
Dungeons and raids Edit
There are none actually located in the Searing Gorge. However, Blackrock Mountain lies between it and the Burning Steppes. It is home to Blackrock Depths (Level 52-60 Instance), Blackrock Spire (Level 54-60 Instance), Molten Core (Level 60 Raid Instance), and Blackwing Lair (Level 60 Raid Instance).
Flight Master Locations Edit
Adjacent regions Edit
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access||Access|
|Badlands||45-48||East||By foot east||By foot east; from Thorium Point to New Kargath|
|Burning Steppes||50-52||South||By foot south through Blackrock Mountain; from Iron Summit to Flamestar Post; also from Thorium Point to Morgan's Vigil||By foot south through Blackrock Mountain; from Iron Summit to Flamestar Post; also from Thorium Point to Flame Crest|
|Dun Morogh||1-10||Northwest||from Thorium Point to Ironforge||from Thorium Point to Bloodwatcher Point (multi-point flight), then by foot north to Loch Modan, then west to Dun Morogh|
|Loch Modan||10-20||Northeast||By foot through Stonewrought Pass (key required); from Thorium Point to Thelsamar||from Thorium Point to Bloodwatcher Point (multi-point flight), then by foot north|
Notable characters Edit
- Main article: Searing Gorge NPCs
Searing Gorge is home to several characters of note. At Thorium Point, Hansel Heavyhands seeks aid in the battle against the golems, spiders, and incendosaurs of the region. Master Smith Burninate attempts to create fiery flux with the help of trustworthy individuals. And from his guarded spot nearby, Kalaran Windblade sends bold adventurers into the holdings of the Dark Irons in an attempt to burn down all of their sentry towers.
- Main article: Searing Gorge quests
CataclysmEditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Badlands border - a new camp has been established by the Thorium Brotherhood called Thorium Advance
- Blackrock Mountain – northeast of Blackrock is a new neutral encampment, Iron Summit, headed by a dwarf whose allegiances are questionable, to say the least; the camp of is now populated by Dark Iron dwarves
- Dustfire Valley - the camp formerly run by Dark Iron dwarves has been abandoned
- Kalaran's camp, near Thorium Point, is now home to the Dark Irons
- Tanner Camp - now empty
- The Slag Pit - the lowest reaches are now inhabited by led by a level 50 elite sflamewaker,
- Magma Elementals are new mobs added to the area; Incendosaurs now live above ground, in and around the new camp of Iron Summit (see above)
- Other – the area between Searing Gorge and Dun Morogh is now a deep chasm; the wandering Shadowsilk Poachers of the Undermarket don't appear to roam through the gorge any longer
Wild creatures Edit
- Players taking the flight to Ironforge from Stormwind can observe many subzones of this area.
- If you were to die in one of the Blackrock Mountain Instances, it would take you to the Thorium Point Graveyard. This is another handy way of getting in. It is convenient as it is not far from the Flight Point
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Fire Elementals in Searing Gorge should be easier to find.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Searing Gorge has a new quest hub for both Alliance and Horde players called Thorium Point.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Closed a hole in the world in the Searing Gorge.