- This article is about the pre-expansion scenario triggered by the quest . For the Patch 7.1 dungeon, see Return to Karazhan. For the Legion content patch called "Return to Karazhan", see Patch 7.1.
Return to Karazhan is a scenario for Alliance and Horde players level 98 and above who have completed the Broken Shore and Finding Magni scenarios. It is part of the pre-expansion event leading into World of Warcraft: Legion.
Stage 1 Edit
- After passing through the gate, Khadgar can be found to the right, up the short flight of stairs.
- Talk with Khadgar to start everything.
The Burning Legion's power grows. We haven't time to spare.
- Archmage Khadgar says: I have an idea where to find the tome discussing the Pillars of Creation, but getting there may present some... challenges.
- Archmage Khadgar says: We have much to do and little time to do it. When you are ready, we'll begin.
Stage 2 Edit
- Visions of the Past - Learn the secrets of Karazhan's past.
- Following Khadgar, players witness the memory of Khadgar's first trip to Karazhan as Medivh's apprentice.
- Archmage Khadgar says: I've been away too long. I fear the tower has fallen into disrepair. Please, pardon the mess.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Heh, I remember the day I arrived. So young and nervous... sent by the Kirin Tor to study under the famed mage Medivh.
- Vision of Moroes says: Care to borrow some blinders? Other students have found them quite helpful for ignoring those distracting visions.
- Vision of Khadgar says: Uh... no, thank you. If I may ask, what became of the other students?
- Archmage Khadgar says: I was not the first to study under Medivh. I was, however, the only one he accepted as his apprentice.
- Vision of Medivh says: So... It seems our young spy has arrived at last.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Earning his trust took time. Cleaning the library wasn't a glamorous start to my career, but it taught me that, to Medivh, everything was a test. Preparation for... a greater destiny.
He comes upon a doorway barred with arcane energy.
- Archmage Khadgar says: The last time I was here, I left behind a few... safety measures. There are countless secrets within these walls and many who would stop at nothing to learn them.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Hmmm, it appears my safeguards may have been altered. Keep an eye out while I open the way.
- Echo of Medivh yells: That which was foreseen has come to pass. The circle nears completion. Sentries, attend to our "guests"!
Stage 3 Edit
- Medivh's Defenses - Disable the Arcane Protector activated by Medivh.
- An Arcane golem is activated far to the left of the magical barrier and instantly focuses on the player.
- Archmage Khadgar says: The sentry! Look out!
Stage 4 Edit
- We Are Not Alone - Stay with Khadgar.
- As soon as the player dispatches the golem, a loud explosion is heard. Running to the stairwell at the entrance of the room, a number of demons swarm up the stairs. Khadgar erects a barrier to keep them at bay.
- Archmage Khadgar says: The tower's defenses have been compromised! I sense the tendrils of Medivh's magic thwarting my safeguards.
- Thar'zul yells: The way is clear, just like the Great One promised! This tower is ours for the taking!
Khadgar erects the arcane barrier
- Archmage Khadgar says: That won't hold them for long. We must get to the library!
Stage 5 Edit
- Breaking In - Assist Khadgar by deactivating the protective rune.
- Players follow Khadgar back to the blocked door and assist him in removing the runic magic in place on it.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Sargeras knows we are after the location of the Pillars! I'll need your help to bring down the barrier.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Let's give these runes a try. A hand, if you would?
Stage 6 Edit
- Wisped Away - Read from the Guardian's Arcanum to escape to the library.
- Follow Khadgar up the stairwell after the barrier falls.
- While he is engaged with the next arcane golem, read from the book on the table to be whisked to the top of the tower.
- Archmage Khadgar yells: The wards! More sentires are coming after us. Fortunately, I always keep a few tricks up my sleeve.
- Archmage Khadgar yells: This book holds a spell that will take you to the library. Get going! And be ready for anything!
- Arcane Protector yells: Intruder alert!
Stage 7 Edit
- Bookkeeping - Destroy the Agitated Tomes.
- Upon entering the library, players find they are alone, with the exception of six Agitated Tomes flying around at the opposite end of the room.
Stage 8 Edit
- Not the Intruders You're Looking For - Assist Khadgar by weakening the guardians.
- After taking care of the Tomes, Khadgar teleports into the room, sealing the portal behind him.
- Players must face off against three arcane golems as Khadgar channels his spell. The golems appear and attack one at a time.
- Archmage Khadgar says: If we're to have any hope of holding back the Legion, I need to get the sentries back on our side.
- Archmage Khadgar says: You'll have to subdue the guardians before my calibration can take effect. No need to be gentle!
- Ancient Curator says: Activating defense mode EL-2S.
Stage 9 Edit
- Defenders of Karazhan - Assist Khadgar by attuning the protectors to defend Karazhan.
- Simply click on each of the three golems in order to reactivate them. Each will move forward and pass through the arcane barrier to attack the demons.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Reactivate the sentries once I finish their adjustments. I'll reinforce the door and send the guardians against the Legion. That will buy us time to find what we're after.
- Ancient Curator says: Defensive calibration complete. Acquiring targets.
- Ancient Keeper says: Protection mode enabled. Targets identified.
- Ancient Curator says: Threat detected. Pursuing.
- Thar'zul yells: You can't stop us, mage! Your former master opened the way to our victory! Karazhan will be ours!
- Archmage Khadgar says: I've really, REALLY had enough of that demon!
Stage 10 Edit
- Knowledge is Key - Find the tome containing information about the Pillars of Creation.
- Players simply need to wait for Khadgar's "wisp" to locate the proper book. Follow it to the table to pick up the tome.
- Archmage Khadgar says: The knowledge of the Pillars is here! We must find that tome!
- Archmage Khadgar says: There? No... There! No...
- Archmage Khadgar says: Ah, could that be? YES! That's it!
Final Stage Edit
- Words of the Wise - Listen to Khadgar's instructions regarding the tome.
- Archmage Khadgar says: Take the tome, <name>. The information it holds is vital!
- Thar'zul yells: This changes nothing, mage! Your defenses will crumble and your world will burn!
- Archmage Khadgar says: We have what we came for, but I'd be remiss if I didn't try to bolster Karazhan's defenses before I leave. I owe that much to Medivh... the good man he once was, not the pawn of Sargeras he became.
Khadgar opens a portal to Dalaran
- Archmage Khadgar says: Get that book into Modera's hands in Dalaran. I'll join you soon. And... thank you.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 7.0.3 (19-Jul-2016): Added.