Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Source information needed!
|This article or section is likely to dramatically change once Legion begins.
Resource mechanics (also called "resource systems") are the different types of pools which player characters, NPCs, and vehicles use to power their abilities. Several classes have unique or multiple resources, depending on the lore surrounding the class, what role it performs in combat, and even what talent build it uses.
Types of primary resources Edit
- Mana - The primary resource mechanic for shamans, druids, mages, priests, paladins, and warlocks. The standard and most straight-forward resource, mana is consumed to cast spells and regenerates slowly over time.
- Energy - The primary resource mechanic used by rogues and druids in Cat Form. Energy regenerates quickly and has a maximum value of 100 which can be increased through talents or equipment.
- Focus - The resource mechanic used by hunters and hunter pets. Focus is similar to Energy, but regenerates more slowly.
- Rage - The primary resource mechanic for warriors and druids in Bear and Dire Bear Form. Rage begins at 0 and increases upon dealing or receiving damage, reaching a maximum value of 100.
- Runes - The primary resource mechanic for death knights. The Death Knight has six runes of three different types which are used in various combinations to power abilities. Runes enter brief cooldown periods upon being used and refresh quickly.
Types of secondary resources Edit
- Arcane Charges - Secondary resource mechanics used by Arcane mages.
- Lunar and Solar Energy - Secondary resource mechanics used by Balance druids. Certain abilities generate either Lunar or Solar Energy, which can be used to affect a variety of other abilities.
- Combo Points - A secondary resource mechanic used by rogues and druids in Cat Form. Combo points are generated using certain abilities and consumed to use finishing moves.
- Fury - A secondary resource mechanic used by Havoc demon hunters.
- Holy Power - A secondary resource mechanic used by paladins. Holy Power is generated by certain abilities and is consumed to augment or power others.
- Insanity - A secondary resource mechanic used by Shadow priests.
- Maelstrom - Secondary resource mechanics used by Elemental shamans.
- Pain - A secondary resource mechanic used by Vengeance demon hunters.
- Runic Power - A secondary resource mechanic for death knights. Runic Power is generated by abilities that use Runes, and is consumed to augment or power others.
Changed/removed resources Edit
- Chakra - In Ctaclysm. this was a secondary resource mechanic used by priests in their Holy spec. By healing with a specific heal three times, priests empower that spell and can change roles accordingly in groups.
- Lunar and Solar Energy - Secondary resource mechanics used by druids in Moonkin Form. Certain abilities generate either Lunar or Solar Energy, which can be used to trigger an Eclipse.
- Totems - Removed as a type of resource in Legion, they were a secondary resource mechanic used by shamans. Totems power up spells and melee attacks that shamans use in order to empower their damage output or healing. Allthough totems need mana in order to work, you can regain that mana and even receive mana exceeding the ammount spent on the totem, by speccing and using certain abilities and totems.
NPC resources Edit
Resources by class and spec Edit
- Death Knight - Runes (and Runic Power) in all three specs.
- Demon Hunter - Fury for Havoc and Pain for Vengeance.
- Druid - Mana for Balance and Restoration, Energy for Feral Combat, and Rage for Guardian (Lunar and Solar Energy for Balance and Combo Points for Feral Combat (Cat)).
- Hunter - Focus in all three specs.
- Mage - Mana in all three specs.
- Monk - Chi in all three specs. Mana for Mistweaver
- Paladin - Mana (and Holy Power) in all three specs.
- Priest - Mana in all three specs.
- Rogue - Energy (and Combo Points) in all three specs.
- Shaman - Mana in all three specs. Maelstrom for Elemental.
- Warlock - Mana (and Soul Shards) in all three specs.
- Warrior - Rage in all three specs.
Class specific skills Edit
There are also several spells/mechanics, which appear in a bar down by the action bars on the default UI. These abilities empower you too and might be considered resource mechanics.
- Warrior - Stances
- Hunter - Aspects was removed as separate UI in Legion
- Paladin -
Auraswas removed in Legion
- Death Knight - Presences
- Shaman - Totems was removed as separate UI in Legion
- Druid - Forms
This gives us the possibility of classes which have both secondary resources and class specific skills, thus having more spellbars on their UIs then other classes have. These classes are often called "hybrids":
- Paladins with Mana, Holy Power and had Auras.
- Shamans with Mana and had Totem timers and Totems.
- If they spec Elemental, Shamans get a Maelstrom resource bar with Mana.
- If they spec Enhancement, Shamans also need to control a pet bar with their Feral Spirits.
- Death Knights with Runes, Runic Power and Precenses. (If they spec Unholy, Death Knights also need to control a pet bar with their Undead minion)
- Druids with Mana, Energy, Astral Power or Combo Points, Rage, and Forms.