Resource mechanics are the different types of resources which player characters, NPCs, and vehicles use to power their abilities. Several classes have unique or multiple resources, depending on the lore surrounding the class, what role it performs in combat, and even what talent build it uses.
Types of primary resourcesEdit
- Mana - The primary resource mechanic for shamans, druids, mages, priests, paladins, and warlocks. The standard and most straight-forward resource, mana is consumed to cast spells and regenerates slowly over time.
- Energy - The primary resource mechanic used by rogues and druids in Cat Form. Energy regenerates quickly and has a maximum value of 100 which can be increased through talents or equipment.
- Focus - The resource mechanic used by hunters and hunter pets. Focus is similar to Energy, but regenerates more slowly.
- Rage - The primary resource mechanic for warriors and druids in Bear and Dire Bear Form. Rage begins at 0 and increases upon dealing or receiving damage, reaching a maximum value of 100.
- Runes - The primary resource mechanic for death knights. The Death Knight has six runes of three different types which are used in various combinations to power abilities. Runes enter brief cooldown periods upon being used and refresh quickly.
- Steam Pressure - The primary resource mechanic used by mechanical vehicles.
Types of secondary resourcesEdit
- Soul Shards - A secondary resource mechanic used by warlocks. Warlocks have three soul shards at a time, which can be consumed to empower certain abilities and can be regenerated using others.
- Holy Power (resource) - A secondary resource mechanic used by paladins. Holy Power is generated by certain abilities and is consumed to augment or power others.
- Lunar and Solar Energy - Secondary resource mechanics used by druids in Moonkin Form. Certain abilities generate either Lunar or Solar Energy, which can be used to trigger an Eclipse.
- Totems - A secondary resource mechanic used by shamans. Totems power up spells and melee attacks that shamans use in order to empower their damage output or healing. Allthough totems need mana in order to work, you can regain that mana and even receive mana exceeding the ammount spent on the totem, by speccing and using certain abilities and totems.
- Chakra - A secondary resource mechanic used by priests in their Holy spec. By healing with a specific heal three times, priests empower that spell and can change roles accordingly in groups.
- Combo Points - A secondary resource mechanic used by rogues and druids in Cat Form. Combo points are generated using certain abilities and consumed to use finishing moves.
- Runic Power - A secondary resource mechanic for death knights. Runic Power is generated by abilities that use Runes, and is consumed to augment or power others.
Resources by class and specEdit
- Warrior - Rage in all three specs.
- Hunter - Focus in all three specs.
- Mage - Mana in all three specs.
- Paladin - Mana (and Holy Power) in all three specs.
- Death Knight - Runes (and Runic Power) in all three specs.
- Shaman - Mana (and Totems) in all three specs.
- Rogue - Energy (and Combo Points) in all three specs.
- Warlock - Mana (and Soul Shards) in all three specs.
- Priest - Mana in all three specs. (Chakra for Holy.)
- Druid - Mana for Balance and Restoration and Rage or Energy for Feral. (Lunar and Solar Energy for Balance and Combo Points for Feral (Cat))
Class specific skillsEdit
There are also several spells/mechanics, which appear in a bar down by the action bars on the default UI. These abilities empower you too and can be considered resource mechanics.
- Warrior - Stances
- Hunter - Aspects
- Paladin - Auras
- Death Knight - Presences
- Shaman - Totems
- Druid - Forms
This gives us the posibility of classes which have both secondary resources and class specific skills, thus having more spellbars on their UIs then other classes have. These classes are often called "hybrids":
- Paladins with Mana, Holy Power and Auras.
- Shamans with Mana, Totem timers and Totems. (If they spec Enhancement, Shamans also need to control a pet bar with their Feral Spirits)
- Death Knights with Runes, Runic Power and Precenses. (If they spec Unholy, Death Knights also need to control a pet bar with their Undead minion)
- Druids with Mana or Energy, Lunar and Solar Energy or Combo Points and Forms.