|Source information needed!
Resilience is a character attribute that reduces all damage taken by players and their pets or minions. This is the bread and butter PvP stat. The reduction has no effect on the damage taken from mobs.
Characters have no innate resilience. It can only be gained through external sources, e.g. equipment, elixirs, enchantments, and gems. Many items and recipes that grant resilience rating are PvP rewards.
Resilience was introduced with World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade as part of the new combat rating system. Previously, no such resilience mechanic existed — as a result, resilience rating only appears on items available to players over level 60, with some rare exceptions. Formerly, resilience reduced the damage taken from critical strikes and spell critical strikes, reduced the chance of suffering a critical strike, and reduced the effect of mana drain spells. Each point of resilience would give a player about 1% less chance to be critically struck.
Just before the release of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, Patch 4.0.1 made a dramatic change to resilience. Resilience no longer reduced the chance to receive a critical strike. Each point of resilience provides about 0.01% damage reduction against all damage done by players and their pets or minions.
Resilience currently follows a linear return. Where y represents the damage reduction percentage, and x represents the amount of resilience, the linear formulas is as followed:
y = 0.01050120510299x + 0.000605956904
For example, damage is reduced by 15.75% when 1500 resilience is equipped:
15.75241361 = 0.01050120510299(1500) + 0.000605956904
The resilience formula was changed in Patch 4.1.0. Resilience is now not linear and no longer offers increasing returns.
And formulas for 4.1 is:
y = 1 - 0.99 ^ ( x / 79.12785 )
The resilience cap is currently 9523. Equipping 9523 resilience will provide 100% damage reduction. Having more than 9523 resilience equipped is overkill and provides absolutely no benefit. However, equipping this amount of resilience is currently impossible. In Patch 4.1.0, diminishing returns on resilience will provide a real resilience cap.
- : Permanently adds 60 agility and 35 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 60 intellect and 35 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 60 strength and 35 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 30 stamina and 25 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 29 spell power and 20 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 50 attack power and 20 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 18 Stamina and 20 resilience rating to a head slot item.
- : Permanently adds 50 agility and 25 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- : Permanently adds 50 intellect and 25 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- : Permanently adds 50 Strength and 25 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- : Permanently adds 30 Stamina and 15 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- : Permanently adds 23 spell power and 15 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- : Permanently adds 40 attack power and 15 resilience rating to a shoulder slot item.
- Chest enchants
- : Permanently enchant chest armor to increase resilience rating by 40.
- : Permanently enchant chest armor to increase resilience rating by 20.
- : Permanently enchant a piece of chest armor to grant 15 resilience rating.
- Shield enchants
|Jewelers Gem||+34 Resilience||Craft|
|+35 Resilience||Gem Perfection|
|Orange||+20 Resilience||+20 Agility||Vendor|
|+20 Resilience||+20 Intellect||Vendor|
|+20 Resilience||+20 Strength||Vendor|
|+10 Resilience||+12 Spell Power||Craft|
|+10 Resilience||+20 Attack Power||Craft|
|+10 Resilience||+10 Strength||Craft|
|+10 Resilience||+10 Agility||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+9 Spell Power||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+16 Attack Power||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+8 Strength||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+8 Agility||Craft|
|+7 Resilience||+8 Spell Power||Craft|
|+7 Resilience||+14 Attack Power||Craft|
|+7 Resilience||+7 Agility||Craft|
|+6 Resilience||+7 Spell Power||Craft|
|+6 Resilience||+12 Attack Power||Craft|
|+6 Resilience||+6 Agility||Craft|
|+4 Resilience||+5 Dodge||Drop|
|+4 Resilience||+6 Spell Power||Drop|
|+5 Resilience||+8 Attack Power||Drop|
|+4 Resilience||+5 Strength||Drop|
|+4 Resilience||+5 Parry||Drop|
|Green||+20 Resilience||+30 Stamina||Vendor|
|+18 Resilience||+26 Stamina||Gem Perfection|
|+15 Resilience||+23 Stamina||Drop|
|+10 Resilience||+5 MP5||Craft|
|+10 Resilience||+15 Stamina||Craft|
|+10 Resilience||+10 Spirit||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+3 MP5||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+12 Stamina||Craft|
|+8 Resilience||+8 Spirit||Craft|
|+7 Resilience||+3 MP5||Craft|
|+6 Resilience||+2 MP5||Craft|
|+5 Resilience||+6 Stamina||Drop|
|+5 Resilience||+7 Stamina||Craft|
|+4 Resilience||+6 Stamina||Craft|
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Resilience no longer reduces the chance a player will be critically hit by an opponent.
- Hotfix (2010-01-20): Resilience damage reduction doubled. So depending on their current amount of resilience, characters might experience a 10 to 20% decrease in damage taken from other players.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): No longer reduces the amount of damage done by damage-over-time spells, but instead reduces the amount of all damage done by players by the same proportion. In addition, the amount of resilience needed to reduce critical strike chance, critical strike damage and overall damage has been increased by 15%.
- Patch 3.0.3 (04-Nov-2008): The damage reduction component of resilience has been increased from 2 times the critical strike chance reduction to 2.2 times the critical strike chance reduction. In addition, the maximum damage reduction to a critical strike from resilience has been increased from 30% to 33%.
- Patch 2.4.0 (25-Mar-2008): Now reduces the magnitude of mana draining effects by the same amount that it reduces critical strike damage. The Tooltip has been revised to reflect this.