There are several types of creatures called raptors in the Warcraft universe.
Raptors are large, aggressive theropods (this means, they stand upright on two large hind legs in a bird-like fashion). Trolls use a variety of raptors as a mount. Raptors are found in Durotar, the Barrens, Wailing Caverns, Wetlands, Arathi Highlands, Un'Goro Crater, Stranglethorn Vale, and Dustwallow Marsh. Raptors seem to be very intelligent for beasts. They wear feathers and beads, and in the Barrens (where the smartest raptors are said to dwell) they have a settlement of mud huts decorated with bone ornaments called Raptor Grounds.
Raptors come in many colors, from green-striped red to yellow-striped turquoise. A raptor’s tail extends straight out, held aloft by an intricate structure of bony supports, thus allowing its weight to be carried entirely by the back legs. Raptors weigh about 600 pounds and use a combination of speed, grasping forearms, large teeth, and hind legs with ripping talons. They hunt by running at prey, leaping, and ripping with their rear talons as they claw and bite. A raptor has a relatively large brain for a dinosaur, and its pack hunts with cunning tactics.
The savage ferocity of Kalimdor's raptors has enthralled the Darkspear trolls since their arrival. They consider a raptor to be the truest form of a hunter, and as such, the tamed Darkspear Raptor is their mount of choice. A tamed raptor is truly a fearsome beast, as a skilled troll is able to channel the reptilian steed's savagery to suit the rider's will. A tamed raptor is also one of the most auspicious signs of status amongst the trolls; many have died trying to tame these swift and deadly hunter beasts, and to possess one indicates great station.
In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, Outland is inhabited by another type of raptor found in the Netherstorm and Blade's Edge Mountains. Their coloration and body shape is quite different from the raptors of Azeroth, as they feature very bright coloration, glowing eyes, and sharp spikes ridging their spine and tail.
Some lizards remarkable akin to the common raptor also have the ability to fly. The most common example of these are the flying mounts used by the blood elves and high elves known as dragonhawks. The physiology of the current dragonhawks known to exist make them seem to be more akin to a snake or dragon instead of a raptor.
- Ravasaur - Large, social raptors dwelling in the Un'Goro Crater.
- Sunscale Screecher - These raptors will call for assistance, causing other raptors in the vicinity to aggro their attackers. They are common in the Barrens. These raptors appear to have an interest in silver, as seen in the quest .
- Wild raptors come in various colors ranging from pink to turquoise.
- Raptors more closely resemble the fictionalized dinosaur of Jurassic Park fame in both shape and intellect rather than actual Velociraptors, though wild ones are more sleek than mounts.
- Level 20 riding raptors are larger than wild raptors.
- Level 20 riding raptors have a large curved horn protruding horizontally from their forehead.
- Level 20 riding raptors have small fins growing from the tops of their head and hips.
- Level 20 riding raptors come in violet with blue stripes, turquoise with yellow stripes, and emerald with yellow stripes.
- Epic riding raptors are slightly larger than level 20 riding raptors.
- Epic riding raptors are usually decorated with colorful armor and feathers.
- Epic riding raptors come in blue, olive, orange, black (PvP reward), and green (Swift Razzashi Raptor).
|Specialization (upon taming)|
|The Raptor eats|
|The Raptor comes with|
|All pets come with|
As a hunter pet
- Raptors come in a wide variety of bright colors, making them popular to use. Their special ability, Savage Rend, causes a 15 second bleed effect on the target, making raptors of special interest for hunters that want to prevent enemies from slipping into stealth.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 2.2.0 (25-Sep-2007): Dash is trainable on all raptors.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Major changes.
Bite replaced with Savage Rend.
Armor had a +3% bonus and now has no bonus.
Health had a -5% penalty and now has +5% bonus.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Bonuses equalized.
Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus.
Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
As non-combat pets
Introduced in patch 3.2, there are 8 new Raptor Mini-Pets. Most of then are fairly hard to obtain. The following list has their name and the location they are obtained in. Note that the mobs marked as rare have a 100% drop rate, but are obtained from rare spawn mobs.
- Darting Hatchling- Dropped by Dart (rare)- Dustwallow Marsh
- Deviate Hatchling- Dropped by Deviate Guardian, Deviate Ravager (0.1% Drop Rate)- Wailing Caverns
- Gundrak Hatchling- Dropped by Gundrak Raptor (0.1% Drop Rate)- Zul'Drak
- Leaping Hatchling- Dropped by Takk the Leaper (rare)- The Barrens
- Obsidian Hatchling- Sold by Breanni (Unlimited Supply- 50g)- Dalaran
- Ravasaur Hatchling- Dropped by Ravasaur Matriarch (rare)- Un'Goro Crater
- Razormaw Hatchling- Dropped by Razormaw Matriarch (rare)- Wetlands
- Razzashi Hatchling- Dropped by Razzashi Raptor (1% Drop Rate)- Zul'Gurub
Raptors as mounts
- Main article: Raptor mounts
Raptor are sold by Zjolnir located in south durotar by Sen'jin Village. Samamba the Sen'jin Quartermaster in Icecrown also sells two unique Raptors. There are also several rare raptors all over Azeroth.
|Mount Name||Availability||Required riding skill||Required Level|
|Emerald Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Turquoise Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Violet Raptor||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Swift Blue Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Olive Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Orange Raptor||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Black War Raptor||PVP||Riding (150)||40|
|Darkspear Raptor||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Purple Raptor||5 500||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Razzashi Raptor||Bloodlord Mandokir||Riding (150)||40|
|Venomhide Ravasaur||Mor'vek||Riding (150)||53|
|Ivory Raptor||No Longer Attainable|
|Mottled Red Raptor||No Longer Attainable|