|Title||The Dark Lady, The Banshee Queen, Mistress Sylvanas|
|Race(s)||Unique undead (Forsaken Undead elf) (formerly Banshee, High elf)|
|Character class||Dark Ranger (WC3); Fighter, Sorceress, Elven Ranger (WCRPG); Warrior, Mage, Elven Ranger (WoWRPG)|
Alliance of Lordaeron (formerly)
|Position||Leader of the Forsaken, Ruler of the Tirisfal, Horde leader in the Eastern Kingdoms, former Ranger-General of Silvermoon|
|Location||Royal Quarter, Undercity|
|Relative(s)||Alleria, Vereesa, Lirath (siblings), Rhonin (brother-in-law), Zendarin (cousin), Arator, Giramar and Galdarin (nephews), Arthas Menethil (creator when Undead)|
|Student(s)||Nathanos Blightcaller (champion)|
|Comp(s)||High Warlord Cromush, Agatha (in Silverpine Forest); Thrall, Vol'jin (During Battle for the Undercity); Varimathras (formerly); Kel'Thuzad, Arthas Menethil (Before she was free); Lor'themar Theron|
Sylvanas Windrunner (the Dark Lady, Queen of the Forsaken) is the former Ranger-General of Silvermoon and the leader of the Forsaken faction of undead in the Horde. She is the middle sister of Alleria and Vereesa Windrunner.
When Arthas Menethil and the Scourge came to Quel'Thalas for the Sunwell, Sylvanas was there to defend her homeland. After fighting and losing at every turn to his hands, Arthas killed her but severed her soul from her body as an act of revenge. She unwillingly served and aided him in the destruction of Silvermoon.
During the time when the Lich King was losing grasp on his undead minions, Sylvanas gained her free will and plotted against Arthas in Lordaeron with the help of the Nathrezim. After her assassination attempt failed, she turned her attention to claiming Lordaeron for herself. She bent the dreadlord, Varimathras, to her will and, with the help of the human remnants led by lord Garithos, killed Balnazzar and Detheroc. With the death of the dreadlords, Garithos and the disbanding of the human remnants, Sylvanas was able to claim Lordaeron and made her home under the former Capital City, which she named "The Undercity."
She is voiced by Piera Coppola.
Ranger-General of Silvermoon Edit
Sylvanas was a member of the prominent Windrunner family of the high elves. Her siblings were Alleria, Vereesa, and at least two other brothers (one named Lirath - as seen in the novel Beyond the Dark Portal ( - and the other possibly named )Sylvos - though this could just be a generic Warcraft III blood mage hero). Her family lived at Windrunner Spire in the tranquil forests of Quel'Thalas. Sylvanas joined the rangers and eventually became their leader, rising to the rank of Ranger-General of Silvermoon, military leader of all high elven forces.
The Second War Edit
During the Second War, the high elves initially sent only token support to the Alliance, though Sylvanas' older sister, Alleria, took her squad of rangers as well. Soon after, the forests of Quel'Thalas mysteriously began to burn. Sylvanas and her rangers set out to discover the cause when she came across both her sisters being chased by a band of forest trolls, whom they dispatched quickly. Alleria alerted Sylvanas of the coming orcish Horde, and that it was they who were burning Quel'Thalas with dragon fire. Sylvanas and her rangers moved quickly to meet the Horde and trap them between themselves and the Alliance forces under the command of the paladin, Turalyon. The battle took many turns but ultimately the Horde abandoned Quel'Thalas. Sylvanas stayed behind to hunt down any remaining orcs. Shortly after, the Horde was defeated, the Dark Portal was destroyed, and the Second War had ended.
Invasion of the Undead Scourge Edit
After the high elves withdrew from the Alliance, Sylvanas and her Rangers were the primary guard against any would-be attackers on Silvermoon. Despite the odd forest troll, murloc, or gnoll every now and then, Sylvanas saw little action, and a peaceful tranquillity had descended upon the forests. She remained, however, ever vigilant, knowing that this peace— however refreshing —was tenuous at best.
Her fears were soon realized when Arthas, the betrayer of Lordaeron, arrived unexpectedly on the doorstep of Quel'Thalas with a horde of undead at his back. He began to attack outlying villages and immediately, Sylvanas and her Ranger Corps moved against him. His superior numbers and tireless warriors always kept her in a state of retreat.
Arthas continued relentlessly towards the Elfgate, killing every elf who got in his way. Finally, despite Sylvanas' best efforts, he breached the Outer Elfgate. Sylvanas ordered the corps to immediately fall back to the Inner Gate, which was only passable with the use of the Key of the Three Moons, assembled from the Mooncrystals hidden within the forest. Sylvanas destroyed the bridge leading to the Inner Gate to stay his advances. Despite her valiant efforts, Arthas managed to recover the Key of the Three Moons and destroyed the Inner Elfgate. Nothing stood in his way to Silvermoon.
Sylvanas gathered her forces and went to warn Silvermoon, but Arthas blocked her passage at every turn, and murdered every runner she tried to get through. Sylvanas continued the resistance, but eventually, she was targeted directly. Arthas's army overran her base of operations and the death knight singled her out in the heat of battle. The two duelled each other, and Sylvanas was cut down.
The Banshee Queen Edit
The official story given by the high elves of Silvermoon had the Ranger-General having perished valiantly in battle against the undead Scourge in the defense of Quel'Thalas, and her body being burned to ashes in the fire that had devastated half the capital.
The true story was quite different. Sylvanas was not killed, but rather captured. Barely clinging to life, Sylvanas Windrunner was brought before Arthas. She protested, saying she deserved a clean death, but Arthas, having had to fight her every step of the way, responded by telling her after what she had put him through, the last thing he would give her was the peace of death. He desecrated her spirit, corrupting her body and soul, and brought her back as a whirlwind of torment and hatred. Thus, Sylvanas Windrunner became the first of the high elven banshees. Sylvanas, now an undead banshee, was a complete and total slave of the Lich King. In her undeath, she aided Arthas in his assault against her own beloved Silvermoon in order to secure the legendary Sunwell for the Scourge. Her mangled body was sealed in an iron coffin by Arthas, as a way to further torture the ranger.
Sylvanas became one of Arthas' primary generals, and she remained behind in Lordaeron with Kel'Thuzad under the watchful eye of the dreadlords, who had been left stationed in Lordaeron to protect it in the name of the Legion. When Archimonde was defeated at the Battle of Mount Hyjal, Sylvanas would quickly learn of this news from Kel'Thuzad. As the months passed, the dreadlords were still ignorant of their masters' defeat. Varimathras, Detheroc and Balnazzar, the three prime dreadlords overseeing Lordaeron, were convening under Sylvanas' undead watchful eyes when Arthas stormed into the stronghold, fresh from his journey to Kalimdor. He informed them of the Legion's failure and his intentions to take control of the Scourge. The dreadlords fled, outraged but unwilling to risk their lives by battling the new King of Lordaeron.
Arthas approached his servants, and ordered that Lordaeron be purged of all life as a tribute to Ner'zhul. Kel'Thuzad, however, informed him that human refugees had begun to flee from the outer villages, and that, should they escape into the mountain passes, they would be impossible to track. Arthas stationed himself and his two generals on the three possible escape routes and they each led detachments of undead troops against the fleeing humans, while taking great pains to ensure that few, if any, made it past their blockade to safety. Despite the efforts of the paladin Dagren the Orcslayer and his companions, Sylvanas led her banshees into battle against the human refugees, aided in the destruction of all the remaining villages in her area, and slaughtered any human trying to escape. Finally, Sylvanas, Arthas, and Kel'Thuzad arrived at the central headquarters of the paladins and killed them all in a vicious battle, annihilating the last of the civilian presence in Lordaeron.
The Dark Lady Edit
Around this point, the weakened Ner'zhul began to lose control of the minds of Sylvanas and a number of banshees. She kept this discovery from Arthas and Kel'Thuzad while continuing to serve. The dreadlords contacted Sylvanas and explained that they knew the cause, and arranged a secret meeting with her. They told her that Ner'zhul's— and by extension Arthas' —powers were beginning to diminish. The nathrezim intended to use this opportunity to seize control of Lordaeron. Sylvanas tentatively agreed to assist, but under the condition that her aid would be provided on her own terms.
The dreadlords planned on killing Arthas within the capital, but Sylvanas created a contingency plan in the case of Arthas' escape. She arranged for her banshees to feign allegiance and escort him to a place in the woods where she would be waiting for him. After Arthas survived the dreadlords' ambush and escaped the capital, Sylvanas' loyal sisters saw him to the arranged place, and then killed his bodyguards.
Sylvanas had, at this point, succeeded in using her abilities as a banshee to repossess the body that belonged to her in life. Sylvanas was now a corporeal undead creature. Hiding in the shadows, she struck him with an arrow she had crafted— a venomous sting that would paralyze him. Arthas was furious at her betrayal, and demanded that she finish him. But Sylvanas refused to show him the mercy of a quick death and intended to make him suffer— as he had made her suffer in undeath. She was about to begin her grisly work when Kel'Thuzad arrived and intervened, killing her banshees and chasing her off. In her physical body, she realized that the natural world would never respond to her wishes again. Angered by this development, she turned to the arts that were becoming more and more natural to her: necromancy. She then altered her elven ranger teachings into a new form. Thus the dark rangers were born.
Mistress of the Forsaken Edit
Arthas left for Northrend, having been summoned by the Lich King, and Kel'Thuzad went into hiding. Sylvanas and her sisters were freed, but Sylvanas was still troubled. Though free from Ner'zhul, she and the other free-willed loyalists remained monstrous abominations in appearance.
Her thoughts were interrupted as Varimathras arrived on the scene. The dreadlord invited the banshee to join him and his brothers in their new order. But Sylvanas was not so quick to relinquish what freedom she had just gained. She told him that her assistance was enough, and demanded to be left alone. Varimathras ominously warned that those who were not part of this new land would be cast aside, and that she had best not vex the new rulers of the Plaguelands. Sylvanas was adamant. As Varimathras departed, Sylvanas knew that an attack was imminent. But with only her banshees and some lesser undead to serve her, Sylvanas was certain that she would soon fall. She needed to acquire an army.
Scouting the outer wilderness, Sylvanas found a plethora of creatures who would serve her well, and with her banshees at her disposal, they would have little choice in the matter. She sent out her banshees to possess Mug'thol, the leader of the local ogres, the Bandit Lord, Blackthorn, the gnoll ruler, Snarlmane, and the Murloc Puddle Lord. Those she did not possess were killed. With so many new allies, Varimathras was quick to fall before her. But after she defeated him, Varimathras begged for his life, saying that he could serve her well. He knew his brothers' tactics, and where their bases were located. Sylvanas knew trusting such an insidious creature was a risk, but felt that she could control him enough for her purposes. With Varimathras' assistance, they moved against Detheroc's forces.
Detheroc had acquired a human puppet, Garithos, and his men, and was using them to protect himself. Sylvanas had his scouts possessed, and then infiltrated his base while their guard was down. As they slept, Sylvanas swept through the twin bases and slaughtered any before her. Though they eventually awoke and raised the alarm, it was too late. Sylvanas disabled the humans and ravaged Detheroc's forces, eventually coming to the dreadlord himself, and killing him swiftly. With the dreadlord dead, Garithos was freed from his mental control. Sylvanas saw him as arrogant and foolish, but felt that she could use him. She lied and promised to relinquish control of the Capital to him if he helped her kill Balnazzar.
Garithos attacked from the rear entrance to the city as Sylvanas and Varimathras came from the front. As they moved into the city, Sylvanas found caches of items left by the Lordaeron royals, and used them to further the assault. Despite the dreadlord's demonic allies, his forces were destroyed, and, as a final test of loyalty, Sylvanas demanded that Varimathras kill Balnazzar. Varimathras froze, saying that it was forbidden for one Nathrezim to kill another. But she required Varimathras to prove his loyalty to her. Varimathras obeyed, and struck down Balnazzar. However, whether by accident or design, Balnazzar survived, later re-emerging as a leader of the Scarlet Crusade. Varimathras was not so reluctant when Sylvanas ordered him to do the same to Garithos.
With all their enemies dead, Sylvanas made a proclamation to Varimathras. They would rule the Plaguelands as the Forsaken, and would stake out their own destiny, where none would get in their way.
Interestingly, reports say Sylvanas moves to and from Northrend; it's unknown if she is scouting for a possible attack on the Lich King, or if she has darker plans. There are rumors that Lady Sylvanas Windrunner is setting up a Forsaken city up there somewhere. In any case, she remains an enigmatic figure— her motivations unknown even to her most trusted advisers.
The Sunwell Edit
Sylvanas, the Banshee Queen, and leader of the Forsaken traveled to Quel'Thalas for her own reasons, but soon encountered the traitor Dar'Khan, confronting him in the ruins of Silvermoon. She aided Kalecgos in attempting to stop the traitor from claiming the Sunwell's energies; though she was initially unsuccessful, she distracted Dar'Khan long enough for Anveena to regain her power and vaporize him. Sylvanas agreed to keep Anveena's identity a secret in the interests of preventing Arthas from gaining the Sunwell's power.
In World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Now, she rules over the Forsaken from Undercity. Her goal is to one day take vengeance upon Arthas, and find lasting freedom for her cursed people. She sends promising warriors to train under her champion, Nathanos Blightcaller.
Lady Sylvanas Windrunner' is a level ?? faction leader located in the Royal Quarter in Undercity. She is also the only racial leader who is not (technically) the same race as most of her people (she being a high elf in life, and most forsaken being known to be undead humans).
She starts the following quests:
And finishes the following quests:
Hallow's End Edit
Sylvanas also appears in the Hallow's End celebration, talking about the Forsaken's freedom. There she still uses her first high elf model (Which never left the Beta verson of Wrath of the Lich King,) and her old statistic.
In The Burning Crusade EditThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
In death, Sylvanas still considers herself one of the foremost protectors of Quel'Thalas, and repeatedly offers assistance in the form of supplies and troops to the blood elves. This may be due in some part to the fact that the Dark Lady still grieves over her failure to protect Quel'Thalas from the Scourge invasion during the Third War, when she fell in battle. Though the blood elves initially declined most of Sylvanas' offers, fearing a trick, the beleaguered elves eventually allowed Sylvanas to station Forsaken soldiers in their lands, most prominently in the village of Tranquillien. Sylvanas played a large part in convincing Thrall to accept the blood elves into the Horde.
In Wrath of the Lich King EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
One of the new Forsaken camps in Northrend is New Agamand. It is here that the plague the Royal Apothecary Society has been developing to combat the Scourge will be tested, as indicated from this section of the Howling Fjord background on the official site:
On the eastern shore, the Forsaken have arrived, carrying a plague of their own to unleash upon the Lich King. Queen Sylvanas has been methodically and patiently overseeing the formulation of this contagion for several years, and the time has come at last to test its effectiveness against the Scourge.
Battle for the Undercity Edit
- Main article: Battle for the Undercity
As the combined Horde and Alliance forces began their assault upon Angrathar the Wrathgate, an uprising broke out within the Undercity. Varimathras and hordes of his demonic brethren overran the city, slaying all those who would not submit to their dark rule. Sylvanas claims she nearly died in the coup, but managed to escape with a number of loyalists and fled to Orgrimmar. Determined not to allow the dreadlords a foothold in Horde territory, Thrall and Sylvanas planned an immediate counter-attack. In the midst of their planning however, Jaina Proudmoore arrived with terrible news: in the wake of Bolvar Fordragon's death, Varian Wrynn had ordered an assault on the Undercity to bring Putress to justice and liberate Lordaeron for the Alliance.
Sylvanas returned to the Undercity at the head of a Horde army, determined to retake her city. Along with Thrall and Vol'jin, she led the assault into Undercity itself, a cry for her people upon her lips. In the Throne Room, Sylvanas fought and finally slew Varimathras, retaking her throne. However, how much power remains in her hands is currently unknown, and Thrall has sent Kor'kron elites to the Undercity to watch the Forsaken.
The Frozen Halls Edit
Sylvanas leads Horde forces to the Frozen Halls inside Icecrown Citadel, to confront the Lich King and gain her vengeance against Arthas for destroying Quel'Thalas and damning her to undeath. Upon reaching his private chambers in the Halls of Reflection and standing so close to Frostmourne, Sylvanas felt the pain of her death to this blade renewed. Nonetheless, she attempted to commune with the spirits within the sword, hoping that "salvation lies within". At that point, the spirit of Uther the Lightbringer appeared, warning her that the Lich King was on his way, and of the foolishness of attempting to defeat him there. He reveals that even if Arthas were to be destroyed, there must be someone to take his place as master of the Scourge, lest they wash across the world like locusts, consuming everything in their path. To defeat the Lich King, Uther said, he must be destroyed at the place he was created: The Frozen Throne.
Just then, the Lich King arrives and reclaims his blade, consuming the soul of Uther within it. He summons Falric and Marwyn, his two top lieutenants, to kill the intruders. While her escorts (the players) battle the pair and the ghosts they summon, Sylvanas and Dark Ranger Loralen give chase as the Lich King flees to his inner sanctum. Upon defeating the death knights and their ghostly allies, the party finds Loralen dead in the hallway and the sounds of battle coming from the chamber before them - Sylvanas and the Lich King in single combat. Realizing he was too powerful to confront there, as Uther had warned, Sylvanas and her escorts flee, breaking through the ice walls and packs of undead minions the Lich King summons to slow their progress. As they reach the outside, they realize that it is a dead end, and resolve themselves to dying in battle against the Dark Lord. Just then, the gunship Orgrim's Hammer arrives on scene to rescue them. As they flee the Halls of Reflection, Sylvanas realizes that the Lich King's powers have increased tenfold, and that to defeat him, a mighty army was needed, one greater than even the Horde could muster.
Fall of the Lich King Edit
With the death of the Lich King, an adventurer bearing finds a , containing various items, among them a vial of blood. The adventurer brings the vial to Sylvanas, waiting in Light's Hammer.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: So, it is done.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: I had not dared to trust my senses - too many times has the Lich King made me to be a fool.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Finally, he has been made to pay for the atrocities he imposed upon my people.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: May Azeroth never fail to remember the terrible price we paid for our weakness... for our pride.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: But what now, hero? What of those freed from his grasp, but still shackled to their mortal coils?
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Leave me.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: I have much to ponder.
In Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
In an interview Chris Metzen revealed that Sylvanas was ordered to move south into Gilneas because the Horde wanted a port in northern Lordaeron. Metzen mentioned Sylvanas was "in the dog house" with the Horde after the Wrathgate events and has to move when the leadership of the Horde orders her to do so.
Sylvanas has been resorting to increasingly unscrupulous tactics ever since the Wrathgate. Despite orders from the new Warchief, Garrosh Hellscream, to cease production of the Forsaken Blight that was used by Putress, she continues to use it against her enemies, including in the invasion of Gilneas and against the town of Southshore in Hillsbrad. She has also conscripted the val'kyr, the ascended vrykul women who once served the Lich King, and uses them to raise dead enemies as Forsaken as a solution to the undead not being able to procreate.
As during the Invasion of Gilneas the tide was turning against Sylvanas, she used her dark powers to stun every one in the immediate area and aimed a poisoned arrow at Genn Greymane. His son Liam jumped in front of the bowshot, saving his father from certain doom. As Sylvanas fled the scene, Liam died with the knowledge that the city had been freed from Forsaken control.
While fighting the Gilneas Liberation Front in Silverpine Forest Sylvanas arranges for the resurrection of Lord Godfrey. After Godfrey captures Lorna Crowley and delivers her to Sylvanas, Sylvanas heads towards the shattered Greymane Wall and gives Darius Crowley a choice: the surrender of the Gilneas Liberation Front or Lorna becomes one of the Forsaken. Darius decides to surrender and Sylvanas allows him to leave with his daughter and his men. Shortly afterwards Sylvanas is killed by Godfrey, who quickly flees to Shadowfang Keep. High Warlord Cromush orders the val'kyr Agatha, Arthura, and Daschla to fix her. After a moment of thought the three val'kyr sacrifice themselves and give Sylvanas life once more. This convinces Sylvanas beyond a shadow of a doubt that the val'kyr are the future of the forsaken.
Later during the Battle for Andorhal Sylvanas disguises herself as Lindsay Ravensun. After the Alliance is defeated, Sylvanas confronts Koltira about his truce with Thassarian, and scolds him for being weak. A portal to the Undercity is opened and Koltira is pulled through by a hooked chain, where Sylvanas will attempt to purge him of his compassion for Thassarian and make him more of a servant of the Horde - more specifically, a servant of Sylvanas and the Forsaken.
As of the Twilight Highlands, Sylvanas and Garrosh are "mending broken fences," as put by a Forsaken NPC questgiver sent by Sylvanas to help the Dragonmaw and Garrosh.
Some have wondered if something has changed within Sylvanas due to her extreme behavior in the recent battles against the Alliance. A forsaken apothecary even leaves the forsaken and joins the Argent Crusade at Plaguewood Tower. He says that "I used to admire her, but something's changed within her. She's not herself anymore". Whether something has happened to her is unknown, but many members of the Horde and Alliance have noticed her acting differently to what she once was.
Mists of Pandaria: Siege of Orgrimmar EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
In the second section of the Siege of Orgrimmar on Heroic raid difficulty (as the Horde) you see a small conversation between Sylvanas and Lor'themar. The summary of the conversation is Sylvanas makes a "joke" that she desires to raise the blood elves as Forsaken so they may fight again, to which Lor'themar responds by threatening the Banshee Queen to not touch his fallen warriors. Also, after the cinematic following Garrosh's defeat in the SoO raid (as Horde), you can speak to the Banshee Queen who explains she has no loyalty for the new Troll Warchief, Vol'jin, but respects him for what he has accomplished and is eager to see what will come of his leadership. Lastly, as Alliance, you may speak to Varian, who exclaims that halting Sylvanas's forces will be a large goal of Alliance efforts in retaking Gilneas.This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
After the Siege of Orgrimmar, Sylvanas and other Horde leaders are summoned to the Temple of the White Tiger to witness the judgement of Garrosh Hellscream. Sylvanas is initially displeased at the idea of a trial rather than an execution and opposes the appointment of Baine Bloodhoof as Hellscream's defender. When Baine's defense of Hellscream proves better than the Banshee Queen would like she accuses him of being an "Alliance sympathizer", prompting the tauren chieftain to somewhat aggressively, albeit calmly, deny her claim while grabbing her upper arms. Vereesa Windrunner, noticing her sister's mutual hatred for Garrosh, anonymously summoned her to Windrunner Spire to plot the assassination of the tyrannical former Warchief. Concocting a new, untraceable poison with her Forsaken subjects, she and Vereesa planned to lace Hellscream's last meal with it. In the meantime, Vereesa entertained the idea of joining her sister in leadership of the Forsaken despite the fact that it would require her to abandon her children. Sylvanas realized that the Forsaken would not accept a living creature into their leadership and decided she would murder Vereesa so that her "Little Moon" could be reborn at her side as an undead. At the last moment, Vereesa relented and informed Anduin Wrynn of the poison in Hellscream's food. Despite Hellscream's hateful words and remorseless attitude, the prince saved the imprisoned orc's life, foiling the Banshee Queen's plan. After learning of the plan's failure, the Banshee Queen rampaged through the wilderness, angrily killing any wildlife unfortunate enough to get in her way and proclaiming that she would never attempt to love again.
Warlords of Draenor EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
When the Dark Lady asked for volunteers to make the trek into Draenor, Dark Ranger Velonara answered without hesitation. Any opportunity to please the Dark Lady is worth the risk. Sylvanas also sent the mage Vivianne to assist the commander on Draenor and to retrieve samples of the Infested for study. Benjamin Gibb was also doing reconnaissance for the Dark Lady in Admiral Taylor's Garrison.
In Legion EditThis article concerns content exclusive to Legion.
The Forsaken's ruthless leader is a formidable champion of her people. But with the Burning Legion's invasion, the stakes for the Dark Lady have never been higher. Should Sylvanas perish, her demise will be the beginning of her eternal damnation. All that stand between her and this doom are her Val'kyr, yet few of these spirit guardians remain. As her fate edges closer to the abyss, Sylvanas must decide how far she'll go to protect her people… and whether they're more precious to her than her soul.
Tactics during boss fight Edit
Battling the Dark Lady in the Royal Quarter can prove disastrous if certain steps are not taken by raid members. First is to enter the Undercity through the sewer entrance, an obvious and well used tactic since the start of World of Warcraft. Second, upon entering Sylvanas’ chamber raid members must hug the right wall as much as possible, the Undercity’s battle masters as well as the Wintergrasp battle mage will be pulled if the raid goes left, and battling them can waste valuable time (each having 500k health and up) and give the Horde time to mount a defense.
Upon engaging Sylvanas it is an absolute must to have a Feral or Guardian druid put on her, this will prevent her from vanishing (); while this may seem like a trivial thing, every time Sylvanas vanishes is precious seconds your raid is not DPSing her down. Her is also something to watch for, while the skeletons summoned havbeen raised to level 80 recently, they are still weak, but a large number of them can prove distracting. The raid should also keep on her altar as much as possible, while Sylvanas will not reset unless you attempt to pull her from her chamber, this will prevent raid members from pulling the aforementioned battle masters and give a clear view of oncoming Horde players.
Sylvanas is often considered to be the hardest city boss, but upon disabling her vanish ability she is standard tank and spank with little in terms of additional abilities.
The Frozen Throne Edit
- Balnazzar: The lich, Kel'Thuzad, is far too loyal to betray his master. But you, on the other hand...
Sylvanas: Hate him. I have my own reasons for seeking vengeance. Arthas murdered my people and turned me into this...monstrosity.
- Sylvanas: You walked right into this one, Arthas. It's time to even the scales.
- Arthas: Finish me, then.
Sylvanas: A quick death...like the one you gave me? No. You're going to suffer as I did. Thanks to my arrow, you can't even run. Give my regards to hell, you son of a bitch.
- (After promising to let the human forces reclaim their land in exchange for joining her against Balnazzar)
Varimathras: Come now, you have no intention of giving them their lands back.
Sylvanas: Of course not. The humans are simply a means to an end.
Varimathras: You sound more like one of us with every passing day, my lady.
Sylvanas: Watch it, dreadlord.
- (After conquering the capital city and the killing of Balnazzar and Garithos, Sylvanas says to Varimathras)
Sylvanas: We will find our own path in this world, dreadlord, and slaughter anyone who stands in our way!
World of Warcraft quotes Edit
- Let none survive! (Also Said in WCIII: Frozen Throne)
- May my aim be true.(Also Said in WCIII: Frozen Throne)
- We are the Forsaken. We will slaughter anyone who stands in our way.
- What are we if not slaves to this torment? (Also Said in WCIII: Frozen Throne)
- What joy is there in this curse? (Also Said in WCIII: Frozen Throne)
- I have no time for games. (Also Said in WCIII: Frozen Throne)
Note: After Patch 3.2.0 Sylvanas has appeared to have gotten a new voice actor, her quotes all remain the same however. She is currently voiced by P.J Mattson, best known for her voice of Catwoman in the game "Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe".
- During Hallow's End
- Children of the Night, heed your Queen's call!
- I join you in celebration of this most revered of nights - the night we Forsaken broke the Scourge's yoke of oppression!
- It is this night that our enemies fear us the most. It is THIS night that we show our enemies what it means to stand against the Forsaken!
- We burn the effigy of the Wickerman as a symbol of our struggle against those who would oppose us. We wear the ashes of the burnt Wickerman as a symbol of our neverending fight against those who would enslave us.
- Now is the time to shake the world to its foundations! NOW is the time to remind those who would enslave us that we shall never yield!
- NOW is the time of the Forsaken! Power to the Forsaken - NOW AND FOREVER!!!
- During The Battle For The Undercity
- Beg for your miserable life!
- ON YOUR KNEES!
- The Banshee Queen has plans for you!
- The Horde will be victorious!
- The penalty for treason is death!
- You dare befoul my sanctum! Pay with your blood!
- You disgust me.
- You will be reunited with your master soon - in the afterlife.
Sound files Edit
/script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerAggro01.wav") /script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerAggro02.wav") /script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerGreeting01.wav") /script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerGreeting02.wav") /script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerGreeting03.wav") /script PlaySoundFile("Sound\\Creature\\SylvanasWindrunner\\SylvanasWindrunnerGreeting04.wav")
Meeting in Silverpine Edit
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Where is that Ogre headed buffoon?
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Ah, speak of the devil ...
- Portals from Orgrimmar arrive with Hellscream, Hellscream's elite, and High Warlord Cromush.
- Hellscream jumps from the portal down to Sylvanas.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: This better be important, Sylvanas. You know how I detest this place and its foul stench. Why have you called for me?
- Garrosh Hellscream says: And more importantly, what are those Scourge fiends doing here?
- Garrosh makes a gesture at the Val'kyr.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Warchief, so glad you could make it.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: With the death of the Lich King, many of the more intelligent Scourge became...unemployed. Those 'fiends,' as you so delicately put it, are called val'kyr. They are under my command now...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: ...and they are part of the reason that I asked to see you.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Get on with it Sylvanas.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Very well, Warchief. I have solved the plight of the Forsaken!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: As a race, we Forsaken are unable to procreate.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: With the aid of the val'kyr, we are now able to take the corpses of the fallen and create new Forsaken.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Agatha, show the Warchief!
- The Val'kyr Agatha proceeds to resurrect fallen corpses as Forsaken.
- High Warlord Cromush says: ABERRATION!
- Garrosh Hellscream says: What you have done here, Sylvanas... it goes against the laws of nature. Disgusting is the only word I have to describe it.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Warchief, without these new Forsaken my people would die out ... Our hold upon Gilneas and northern Lordaeron would crumble.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Have you given any thought to what this means, Sylvanas.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: What difference is there between you and the Lich King now?
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Isn't it obvious, Warchief? I serve the Horde.
- Sylvanas mockingly salutes Garrosh.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Watch your clever mouth, bitch.
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Cromush, you stay behind and make sure the Banshee Queen is well "guarded." I will be expecting a full report when next we meet.
- High Warlord Cromush says: As you command, Warchief!
- Garrosh Hellscream says: Remember, Sylvanas, eventually we all have to stand before our maker and face judgment. Your day may come sooner than others...
- Sylvanas reputedly used Thas'dorah, Legacy of the Windrunners, an artifact available in World of Warcraft: Legion.
- Sylvanas is the only female Horde leader.
- An epic ring, , drops from Kael'thas Sunstrider in the Eye of Tempest Keep. The description of the ring clearly states that it was formerly worn by Sylvanas.
- Sylvanas was originally voiced by Piera Coppola. Her current voice actress is P.J. Mattson.
- Silva (or silua; it is pronounced 'sil-wa') is the Latin word for forest, and Silvanus (or Siluanus; 'sil-wa-nus') is a god of uncultivated land in Roman mythology. Both the word and the name are often invoked in regards to elves and elven characters.
- Sylvanas' mount appears to be a Red Skeletal Warhorse, as seen in . Howerver, in Battle for Gilneas City, she uses a Purple Skeletal Warhorse
- Sylvanas has three official wallpapers.
- In Dalaran, a rare fishing drop from the fountain is , which was, as it says, once owned by Sylvanas (likely in life).
- Sylvanas is featured in DC Unlimited's World of Warcraft: Series 6 action figure set.
Sylvanas' form Edit
- Though in life Sylvanas was a high elf, her original model in the World of Warcraft was that of a tall female night elf, but this is because this was the closest model available before The Burning Crusade (the few blood elves and high elves in the game before this point also used modified night elf models). During the Wrath of the Lich King beta, she was given a uniquely-textured blood elf model, and by patch 3.0.2 she was given a unique undead high elf model more reminiscent of how she appeared in The Frozen Throne. Interestingly, the outfit she wears in the Sunwell Trilogy is more similar to those of Sentinel archers than the high elf rangers in the same book.
- In Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Sylvanas's living model was simply retextured from Shandris Feathermoon, while her undead model is the standard Banshee model. In Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, her undead model is shared with the Dark Ranger hero unit, as Sylvanas was the "representative" character for that hero unit.
- Though Arthas turned her into an incorporeal banshee when he killed her, Sylvanas was later able to regain her original (albeit dead) body. Ghostlands and the Manual of Monsters both depict her in her original body, with the abilities of both a dark ranger and a banshee.
- In Warcraft III, Arthas defeats Sylvanas in the Eversong Woods and turns her into a banshee on the spot. Both Ghostlands and the Lament of the Highborne video would later depict Arthas placing Sylvanas' body on an altar, and performing a ritual that pulls her spirit from her body, while the Arthas novel returned to the Warcraft III version of the scene.
Lament of the Highborne Edit
- Main article: Lament of the Highborne
Respawn time Edit
Sylvanas, like most capital city leaders, has a 2-hour respawn timer after being killed by an Alliance raid.
- Official images
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.3 (28-October-2014): Updated for level 100.
- Patch 5.0.4 (28-August-2012): Updated for level 90.
- Patch 4.0.3 (15-Nov-2010): Updated for level 85.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008):
- Updated with a new model.
- Updated for level 80.
- / Patch 2.0.1 (05-Dec-2006): Updated for level 70.
- Patch 1.7.0 (13-Sep-2005): Racial "Leaders" have been strengthened, and are now worth slightly less honor.
- ^ Major Characters in Icecrown Citadel. Retrieved on 2009-10-10.
- ^ a b Manual of Monsters, 186
- ^ BtDP, 68
- ^ The Well of Eternity, pg. 16-17
- ^ The Well of Eternity, pg. 17
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: A Kingdom Divided", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Legacy of the Damned: The Flight from Lordaeron", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ a b c "Legacy of the Damned: Sylvanas' Farewell", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 150
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 41
- ^ a b c "Legacy of the Damned: The Dark Lady", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ a b "Legacy of the Damned: Dreadlord's Fall", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ a b c "Legacy of the Damned: A New Power in Lordaeron", Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 180, 182
- ^ ω ϖ
- ^ ω ϖ
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1223651/
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3196898/
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper69.html
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper70.html
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper131.html
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, 41, 150, 206
- ^ Medievaldragon 2008-01-22. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - Lady Sylvanas: Lament of the Highborne. Blizzplanet.
See also Edit
|Royal Quarter||Hallow's End|
|Forge of Souls||Pit of Saron||Halls of|
- Official lore
| Preceded by:|
Ranger-general of Silvermoon
| Succeeded by:|
| Preceded by:|
Ruler of Lordaeron
| Succeeded by:|
| Preceded by:|
Ruler of Lordaeron
| Succeeded by:|
Incumbent, Calia Menethil ("true heir")