A city portal is permanent version of the Portal spell used by mages that appears in a fixed spot in a city. They tend only to appear in cities possibly due to the potentially large power requirements. The exact mechanism of how they work is not known. However, some fixed portals can be seen to have mages actively maintaining them.
Most city portals connect to other cities, but some connect to well traveled points of interest.
|The Great Sea|
|To Hellfire Peninsula|
Locations of city portals Edit
Added in Burning Crusade EditThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
- North alcove: Alliance capitals - Stormwind City (Darnassus and Ironforge were removed)
- South alcove: Horde capitals - Orgrimmar (Thunder Bluff and Undercity were removed)
- East alcove: Burning Crusade capitals - Exodar (Alliance), Silvermoon City (Horde)
- West alcove: Sun's Reach Sanctum, Isle of Quel'Danas
Added in Wrath of the Lich King EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Stormwind City (with Cataclysm, other capital city portals were removed)
- Wintergrasp (when Alliance controls the zone)
- Orgrimmar (with Cataclysm, other capital city portals were removed)
- Wintergrasp (when Horde controls the zone)
Added in Patch 3.2 Edit
In Patch 3.2. all major cities added a portal to the Blasted Lands near the location of mage trainers. These portals lead to a ravine right in front of the Dark Portal. Further, portals to Stormwind City and Orgrimmar were added on the other side of the Dark Portal. The result is that it is now possible to port from any city to Orgrimmar/Stormwind City using the chain of portals in about 1-2 minutes.
- Wizard's Sanctum,[48, 87] Mage Quarter, Stormwind City
- The Mystic Ward, Ironforge
- Temple of the Moon, Darnassus
- The Vault of Lights,[46, 61] The Exodar
- Cleft of Shadow,[45, 67] Orgrimmar
- Spirit Rise near Pools of Vision, Thunder Bluff
- Magic Quarter, The Undercity
- Sunfury Spire, Silvermoon City
- Alliance side: Portals[89, 50][88, 42] to Stormwind City
- Horde side: Portal[89, 49][88, 47] to Orgrimmar
Added in Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
New zone hubs Edit
- To Mount Hyjal which goes to inn by Nordrassil.
- To Vashj'ir at the last innkeeper location you have reached via questing.
- To Deepholm which goes to the Temple of Earth.
- To Uldum at Ramkahen city.
- To Twilight Highlands: either Dragonmaw Port or Highbank.
Tol Barad Edit
- Between Deepholm and Vashj'ir portals by Eastern Earthshrine,[73, 8] Stormwind City.
- Near Western Earthshrine,[47, 39] Orgrimmar.
Twilight Highlands Edit
Activating each portal requires completing the related quest chain.
- Portal to Stormwind City from Highbank courtyard of keep.
- Portal to Orgrimmar from Dragonmaw Port in back tower.
Mount Hyjal to Firelands Edit
To activate the portals to Molten Front, Firelands from Mount Hyjal and back, you must be level 85, have completed the  quest chain, and get the short quest chain that starts with  and ends with  . Though to complete this quest chain, you must accumulate 20+150 which requires a several days of completing Regrowth subzone daily quests.
As of Patch 4.2:
- Portal to the Firelands sits atop Nordune Ridge[27, 56] in Mount Hyjal across the eastern tip of Ashen Lake from the Sanctuary of Malorne and leads to the other portal in the Molten Front.
- Portal to Mount Hyjal on the east side of the southern tip of the Molten Front called Malfurion's Breach[53, 84] and leads back to Mount Hyjal.
Added in Mists of Pandaria EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
To Jade Forest Edit
- Alliance: Portal[68, 16] in Stormwind City by large balloon to Paw'don Village, Jade Forest.
- Return portal in Paw'don Village[46, 85] to Stormwind City.
- Horde: Portal[68, 40] in Orgrimmar by large balloon to Honeydew Village, Jade Forest.
- Return portal in Honeydew Village[0, 0] to Orgrimmar.
Shrines in Vale of Eternal Blossoms Edit
- Alliance: 2nd floor of Shrine of Seven Stars in Vale of Eternal Blossoms[87, 66] has portals to all the faction capitals including Shattrath City and Dalaran.
- Horde: 2nd floor of Shrine of Two Moons in Vale of Eternal Blossoms[61, 16] has portals to all the faction capitals including Shattrath City and Dalaran.
Added in Warlords of Draenor EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Ashran to capitals Edit
- Alliance: Stormshield on Ashran island has portals to all the major faction capitals (to Darnassus down the hill past the Auction House,[63, 64] to Ironforge to right of bank,[51, 50] and to Stormwind City up hill on eastern side next to tower[60, 37]).
- Horde: Warspear on Ashran island has portals to all the major faction capitals (to Orgrimmar inside Tower of Elements,[60, 51] to Thunder Bluff left and past auctioneers,[50, 24] and Undercity behind the alchemy lab[63, 24]).
Garrison to Tanaan Jungle Edit
- Tower of War[69, 26.5], Lunarfall northeast of the walls past the Fishing Hut to Stormshield on Ashran island.
- Tower Of War[74, 50], Frostwall just west of the walls and north of Mine to Warspear on Ashran island.
Ashran to Tanaan Jungle Edit
- Alliance: Stormshield on Ashran island has a portal to Vol'mar in Tanaan Jungle.
- Horde: Warspear on Ashran island has a portal to Lion's Watch in Tanaan Jungle.
Portal to Hellfire Peninsula Edit
Added in Legion EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Dalaran mostly just moved, so has mostly same portals unless otherwise noted.
- These portals will only be active while on related quests.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.2.0 (23-Jun-2015): Portal to Tanaan Jungle added in Stormshield and Warspear (Ashran).
- Patch 6.0.1 (24-Apr-2014): Portals to capitals added in Stormshield and Warspear (Ashran). Portals to Stormshield and Warspear (Ashran) added atop the Tower Of War and Tower of War in garrison level 3.
- β Patch 5.0.1 (Beta): Portals to Jade Forest ( Honeydew Village and Paw'don Village) added in Orgrimmar and Stormwind City. Return portals to Orgrimmar and Stormwind City added to respective Jade Forest villages. Portals to capitals add to shrines in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Portal to the Firelands and Portal to Mount Hyjal added.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Portals to new zones (unlocked by quests) in Earthshrines in Orgrimmar and Stormwind City. Portals to expansion hub capitals () added to inn by Nordrassil in Mount Hyjal. In Twilight Hightlands (unlocked by quests), portal to Orgrimmar added from Dragonmaw Port and portal to Stormwind City added to Highbank. Portals to cities other than Orgrimmar and Stormwind City removed from Dalaran (Silver Enclave and Sunreveaver's Sanctuary) and Shattrath City.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Portal areas in all major cities now offer a portal to the Blasted Lands near the Dark Portal.
- ^ a b c d Bashiok 2011-04-27. portals in shattrath/dalaran?. World of Warcraft official game site (US). Archived from the original on 2011-04-27.
We had a number of instances where people were coming back to the game after not playing for a long period, in some cases years, and having a really difficult time finding their way to where they should be.
Stormwind and Orgrimmar portals now exist in Dalaran and Shattrath to help them get to the relevant cities in Cataclysm; one for each faction, and only those two portals exist to facilitate that intent.
- ^ Available since Patch 2.4, after Shattered Sun Offensive: Phase 2.