This item is a world drop, but also drops from all high end pre-Burning Crusade instances such as Blackwing Lair, Molten Core, Stratholme, and Scholomance. In both cases, the drop chance is extremely low (no more than 1%-2%).
- The effect lasts for 5 minutes, and it has a 30 min cooldown. The effect time was reduced in a previous patch from 60min to 5min. Unequipping the trinket will cancel the effect.
- Whilst looking like a member of the opposite race the player will always have the armor graphics of a preset character of around level 40. Although these graphics cannot be altered, directly switching helm and/or shoulder slot equipment will remove the respective item graphics from your opposite faction avatar. The animations and emotes will all conform to the temporary race - including jokes. The weapon/shield graphics are shown as your character has them equipped.
- The "opposite" races are as follows:
- While the Orb of Deception might seem like a promising one for PvP combat, it is mostly only for fun as its abilities do not really support the disguise concept in practice. Guards from the other faction are not fooled at all, and enemy players can see your name in red when flagged, as well as quickly tell in other ways that the player in question is not truly of their faction (just by clicking on the player, for instance). Just about the only way to use the trinket for PvP is on PvE servers where you can be in contested areas unflagged, potentially fooling flagged enemies long enough to get close and attack them. Also, due to the relative rarity of the item, it is possible that the transformation will confuse people enough to make it work using in a PvP situation, especially in crowded areas like Battlegrounds or City raids.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.3 (28-October-2014): Changed to a toy from an ilvl 59 trinket and changed to binds when used.
- Patch 1.7.0 (13-Sep-2005): Changing stances no longer removes the Orb of Deception effect.