Necromancers are mortal practitioners of death magic, commonly referred to as necromancy. Channeling their knowledge of the arcane into manipulation of the forces of life and death, these men and women were instrumental in the forming of the Scourge in Lordaeron.
Necromancers are spellcasters whose magics manipulate the power of death. In calling upon this power, necromancers risk being consumed by it — until eventually they join the ranks of the undead. Necromancers twist arcane magic to manipulate the power of death. Commanding the undead, generally in the service of the Scourge, they gradually take on the characteristics of the dead — hollow eyes, shambling gaits, pallid and sunken skin, foul odors and so forth.
Most, if not all, modern necromancers were trained by Kel'Thuzad and his agents in the Scholomance beneath Caer Darrow, otherwise known as the School of Necromancy. Amazingly, the School was never discovered by agents of the Crown of Lordaeron, and remained untouched and functional until well beyond the end of the Third War. The school contains notable figures such as the Lich, Ras Frostwhisper, as well as the headmaster of the facility, Darkmaster Gandling.
The necromancers continue to abound in the Plaguelands. Overseeing both the spread of the Blight and the construction of new Scourge installations, necromancers are most commonly encountered within and around the ruined city of Stratholme. An elite branch of necromancers, under the command of the dark master Maleki the Pallid, refer to themselves as the Thuzadin, in honor of their lord and first of their kind, Kel'Thuzad.
The origins of necromancy date back to the First War when Gul'dan's necrolytes developed the ability to raise corpses to serve as skeleton warriors in the Horde. But necromancers have been around since the beginning of the Nathrezim race, who were the first ever known beings to raise Undead from Night Elven corpses (as seen in the War of the Ancients novel).
See also: The Schools of Arcane Magic - Necromancy
The Dark Lady, , realized how valuable necromancy was to their cause. Though Forsaken heal naturally, many go to the priests of the Forgotten Shadow for "repairs". Necromancers can also free enslaved, mindless undead and research powerful spells that might one day return the Forsaken to life. Sylvanas knew she needed necromancers to heal, strengthen and replace her people, and she set about wooing necromancers away from the Scourge, mainly by force.
|World of Warcraft|
|[??]||Master of Naxxramas and Lich King majordomo; Final boss of Naxxramas and First Of The Necromancers||Defeatable||Frost Shadow Unholy|
|[21+]||Master of the Scourge in Quel'Thalas||Undead-Killable||Shadow|
|[??]||Second boss in The Military Quarter of Naxxramas||Killable||Shadow Arcane|
|[??]||Second boss in The Plague Quarter of Naxxramas||Killable||Shadow Nature|
|[??]||First boss in The Plague Quarter of Naxxramas||Killable||Shadow Arcane|
|[78/82]||Second boss in The Culling of Stratholme instance in the Caverns of Time||Killable||Shadow Unholy|
|[72/82]||Second/third boss in the Utgarde Keep instance||Killable||Shadow Unholy|
|||Boss in the Undead Side of Stratholme; Death required to kill Baron Rivendare||Killable||Frost Shadow|
|||Headmaster of Scholomance||Killable||Shadow Arcane|
|||Boss in Scholomance||Killable||Physical Shadow|
|||Boss in Scholomance; Holder of a piece of Lord Valthalak's Amulet||Killable||Shadow Unholy|
|||Scourge instructor and boss in Scholomance||Killable||Holy Shadow Arcane|
|||Leads the undead in Raven Hill Cemetery, Duskwood||Killable||Shadow Unholy|
|||Raised the entire village of Kirin'Var Village, Netherstorm||Killable||Ice|
|||Occupies the Echo Isles||Defeatable||Shadow Nature Unholy|
|[20+]||Master of Fenris Keep||Killable||Fire Unholy Demonic|
|||Quest giver in Raven Hill Cemetery, Duskwood||Alive||Unholy|
|[44+]||Apprentice to Kel'Thuzad, killed while transforming into a lich in a cave near Southshore||Undead||Unholy|
|Abrakkar the Wretched||Scourge Commander||Dead||Unholy|
|Diodor the Damned||Early member of the Cult of the Damned||Dead||Unholy|
|Mael Shelub||Independent, last seen in Silverpine Forest||Alive||Unholy|
|Nazaruul||Stationed at Plaguelands||Dead||Unholy|
|Pai Stormbringer||Leader of the Cult of the Damned||Alive||Shadow & Death|
|Ru'sad||In charge of the undead forces found in Zul'Aman||Unknown||Unknown|
|Toren Snapjoint||Role unknown||Unknown||Unholy|
|Ul'haik Hadanot||Leader of the Cult of the Damned||Alive||Shadow & Death|
|Vasilii||Role unknown||Alive||Shadow & Death|
In World of Warcraft Edit
As a class Edit
Planned as one of the original classes along with Death Knight, this did not make release.
Later, the necromancer class was one of three front runners to becoming the first heroic class released with Wrath of the Lich King, however, the ideas surrounding them were incorporated into the death knight. (The two other front runners were rune masters and monks.)
Necromancers in World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
- Acherus Necromancer - The Scarlet Enclave, Eastern Plaguelands
- Anub'ar Necromancer - Azjol-Nerub, Dragonblight
- Auchenai Necromancer - Auchenai Crypts, Terokkar Forest
- Blackrock Necromancer - Dreadmaul Rock, Burning Steppes
- Burning Depths Necromancer <Cult of the Damned> - Obsidian Dragonshrine, Dragonblight
- Dark Necromancer - Culling of Stratholme, Caverns of Time
- Death's Head Necromancer - Razorfen Downs, The Barrens
- Deatholme Necromancer - Deatholme, Ghostlands
- Decrepit Necromancer - Northeast Dragonblight
- En'kilah Necromancer - Temple City of En'kilah, Borean Tundra
- <Cult of the Damned> - Stratholme, Eastern Plaguelands
- Frigid Necromancer <Cult of the Damned> - Ruby Dragonshrine, Dragonblight
- Gor'vosh Necromancer - Ashran
- Malefic Necromancer - Southeastern Icecrown
- Master Necromancer - Culling of Stratholme, Caverns of Time
- Outcast Necromancer - Desolace
- Redpine Necromancer - Western Plaguelands
- Scholomance Necromancer - Scholomance, Western Plaguelands
- Scourge Necromancer - Acherus: The Ebon Hold, Eastern Plaguelands
- Thuzadin Necromancer - Stratholme, Eastern Plaguelands
- Ymirjar Necromancer - Utgarde Pinnacle, Howling Fjord
- Shadowy Necromancer - Hyjal Summit, Caverns of Time, Tanaris
Warcraft III Edit
- Main article: Necromancer (Warcraft III)
- Though they retained their Humanity after making a pact with death, Necromancers became the most terrifying agents of the Scourge. These dark, insidious men were once thought to be aspiring geniuses by the Magocracy of Dalaran. However, their insatiable lust to delve into the secrets of the dark arts drove them to forsake their very souls. Ner'zhul, the Lich King, granted these malevolent sorcerers true power over the dead in exchange for their loyalty and obedience. The shadowy Necromancers have the power to command various types of Undead and even spread the foul undead plague as well.
See also Edit