|This article concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.|
When the Pandaren were subjugated by the Mogu centuries ago, it was the Monks that brought hope to a seemingly dim future. Restricted from using any type of weapon by their slave masters, these Pandaren instead focused on harnessing their chi and learning weaponless combat.
Monks are a hybrid class. Masters of bare-handed combat, monks choose to draw their weapons only for devastating finishing moves. Monk healers bring harmony and balance to every group, healing even the most grievous of injuries with ancient remedies and focused spiritual arts. And few can hope to out-last the unquenchable prowess of the Monk Brewmaster, whose empowering beverages and unpredictable combat style allow them to absorb incredible amounts of punishment.
Pandaren masters have chosen to share their ancient martial arts with young fighters in both the Alliance and Horde. Harnessing their inner strength and potent "chi" energy, Monks are extremely capable in every role: damage, defense, and healing.
- Main article: Monk races
Like druids and rogues, monks can only use cloth or leather armor and can't use shields, but can use off-hand items. Stats will be primarily based on Agility (DPS and tanking) and Intellect (healing).
Monks are expected to rely heavily upon hand-to-hand combat, but will use weapons for their finishing moves.
No melee classes will use ranged weapons in the Mists of Pandaria expansion.
Some base abilities:
- Initially, the monk did not have an Auto-attack. After testing and design, however, auto-attack was included as part of the monk class.
- ω τ ϖ - primary chi builder.
- ω τ ϖ - roll a short distance (presumably like a Mage's Blink spell). Unlike similar abilities it can be used backwards and sideways as well.
- - fly through the air, leg outstretched, and then to slam to the ground, damaging and slowing anything where landing (the ability has a max range of about 40 yards).
- - blurring multi-attack that stuns multiple targets.
- - summons a statue that heals nearby friendly units when the Monk deals damage. Up to 3 can be active at the same time.
- - AOE that damages every enemy within 8 yards every second for 6 seconds (5 sec cast).
- - 2 Chi, Kick with a blast of sha energy, causing Physical damage to an enemy target. Only useable on targets at or below 35% health. If the target is killed by Blackout Kick, you are refunded 1 Chi.
- - instantly kill any NPC that has less health than you (1.5-minute cooldown and costs 3 chi).
- -40 Energy Attack the target with your (Staff ,Maces ,Polearm ,axes), dealing damage and generating 1 Chi.
- - 15 Sec cooldown, You cause the target's muscles to contract, incapacitating them for 30 seconds. If done from behind the target, the duration is doubled. Only one target can be victim to Paralysis at any given time. Any damage taken will cancel the effect.
- -40 yard range, Channels Jade Lightning at the target, causing 4,116 Nature damage over 5.50 seconds. If the enemy attacks you within melee range while victim to Crackling Jade Lightning, they are knocked back a short distance. This effect has an 8 second cooldown.
- - 40 yard range, Instant Cast, 8 sec cooldown, Eliminates ailments from the friendly target, removing all harmful Poison and Bleed effects.
Specializations and Talents
- Brewmaster - Tank, reminiscent of the "drunken master" of martial arts films.
- Toss their best keg of brew at their enemies with . All enemies hit get drunk and have a 3% chance to hit themselves for 14k damage anytime they attack. The debuff stacks 3 times.
- Avoidance abilities like , , and to bypass damage for short windows of time and can divert damage from group mates to themselves.
- , which causes all incoming damage to stagger: you take 50% immediately and 50% 3 seconds later.
- Mistweaver - Healer, wise man with fighting skills.
- Windwalker - Melee DPS, martial arts master doing damage primarily with fists and feet.
- skill, which gives them a 1% critical chance buff every time they jab an enemy from behind, which stacks 100 times and lasts 30 seconds and gets totally wiped when you leave combat.
- A passive called (currently at level 26) that creates a Healing Shpere or a Chi Sphere on the ground anytime they kill an enemy that grants XP or honor, which looks like yellow mist,  but will only visible to the monk that created it.
- As with all classes in the new talent system, monks will get the option to pick a series of other talents as they level up. Here are some of the notable ones:
Choose spec at level 10 as in Cataclysm, will have multiple spec abilities as you gain levels with more to choose.
- List of monks - List of important NPC monks and monks from lore.
- Monk sets - Discussion of set items for monks.
- Monk gear guide - Information about choice of monk equipment.
- ^ a b The Monk. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site (US).
The Monk. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site (EU).
- ^ Monk Preview. Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria site. Retrieved on 2011-10-22.
- ^ a b c d e f "World of Warcraft: Intro to Mists of Pandaria" panel (featuring Tom Chilton, Game Director; Cory Stockton, Lead Content Designer; and Greg Street, Lead Systems Desginer) at BlizzCon 2011
- ^ Nethaera 2012-02-29. #19 - Is Blizzard done with race/class combos?. Official General Discussion forum (US). the monk class will be available to all races save for goblin and worgen
- ^ a b c d e f Blizzard Entertainment 2011-10-28. Blizzard Insider #42 -- Meet the Pandaren Monk. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2011-10-28. Blizzard Insider #42 – Meet the Pandaren Monk. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ Kaivax 2012-04-11. #3 - [Monk]Scaling issues. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Classes forum (US).
- ^ a b c d e f g Josh Augustine 2012-03-19. Mists of Pandaria: Everything you need to know, page 3. PC Gamer.
- ^ Kaivax 2012-04-09. #6 - [Monk] Chi spheres... some thoughts and ideas. Official Mists of Pandaria Beta > Beta Classes forum (US).
- ^ Talent Calculator > Monk. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2012-04-16.