Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Melee is a form of physical combat that requires the attacker to be relatively close (arm plus weapon length) to the target as opposed to a ranged attack. Sometimes also called "hand-to-hand" or "close combat". Pronounced as mā-ˌlā / may-lay.
World of Warcraft typically defines 'Melee Range' as 5 Yards or closer.
Typical Melee Weapons Edit
Typical melee weapons used:
Melee Ability Comparison By Class Edit
NOTE: This is only a comparison of overall melee DPS ability (It does not include mitigation). Spellcasting or at least spellcasting specialized classes will have poor melee DPS, while the pure melee or melee specialized classes will have high melee DPS.
Excellent: These classes have the highest potential for melee DPS, even without specialization.
- Warrior (Arms or Fury spec providing highest DPS)
- Rogue (Openers, stuns, other skills, and finishers)
- Death knight
Fair: These classes can comfortably hold their own in melee, but unless specialized in it will be inferior to a Warrior or Rogue. With equal level of gearing, talents, and playing ability they can meet or exceed said classes' melee DPS.
- Paladin (Auras and Seals/Judgments)
- Shaman (Totems, Weapon Enchants, AP Buffs, Dual Wield, etc)
- Druid (Feral spec (cat form), rogue-like dps, Leader of the Pack aura)
Poor: These classes can just about cope in melee, but have more efficient means of combat at their disposal.
Bad: These classes should avoid any kind of melee combat where possible; even running away rather than engaging in melee.
- Priest (Power Word Shield gives mitigation, but should Fear and run away to cast better spells)
- Mage (Use Frost Nova and Sheep crowd control, back off and nuke.)
- Warlock (Defend with Fire Shield and Demon Skin/Demon Armor, but should use the pet to handle melee. Warlock should instead DOT/Nuke [depending on spec] from a distance)