Maelstrom Weapon is a passive shaman ability learned at level 44 for those with the Enhancement specialization. Each stack reduces the cast time of the next Nature spell with a cast time of less than 10 seconds; fully stacked, those spells become instant cast.
The chance to gain a charge when attacking is dependent on weapon speed, using the PPM mechanic. In effect, this means that slower weapons will have a slightly higher chance to trigger Maelstrom Weapon due to instant attacks. will greatly increase the rate at which charges are generated, although it won't be double, due to the miss penalty inherent in dual wielding. When Dual wielding, the PPM rate is approximately 25 PPM.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): Maelstrom Weapon’s chance to trigger has been reduced by 20%.
- Patch 5.1.0 (27-Nov-2012): Effects has been improved.
- Patch 4.3.0 (29-Nov-2011): Maelstrom Weapon can now also proc from fully absorbed melee attacks.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Now also has a chance to reduce the cast time of Hex.
- Patch 3.0.3 (04-Nov-2008): Tooltips corrected to correctly describe the chance for this talent to be triggered.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Maelstrom Weapon proc chance reduced to 2/4/6/8/10% on critical hit when you deal damage with a melee weapon. Now affects chain heal and no longer affects Lavaburst.