The kvaldir, or tuk-hariq (meaning walkers of the fog/sons of the mist), are fearsome seafaring vrykul raiders who roam the seas raiding ships and coastal settlements.
Awakened soon after Shield Hill in the Howling Fjord was defiled by pirates, they came upon the beaches of the Borean Tundra and Dragonblight from unknown locations. Due to most of the beaches being controlled by the tuskarr, they set on destroying them first, among some naga as well.
Led by Drottinn Hrothgar, they recently took over a tuskarr village on an island off the northern coast of Icecrown and renamed it Hrothgar's Landing. It is now a mist-shrouded staging point from which they launch attacks against Silver Covenant and Sunreavers' ships in the waters between the island and Icecrown.
Very similar to vrykul, these creatures are covered in green scales, barnacles, and seaweed. When they die on land, they evaporate, leaving behind only their weapons and any seaweed or objects that were on their bodies. When killed in the water, they leave behind intact corpses.they also only appear on the shore.
World of Warcraft: CataclysmEditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Quetos: Kvaldir Pillager says: These waters were ours even before the Sundering!
A smaller group, named the Skadir, is believed to have broken off the main clan, also known as the Kvaldir.
Types & ClassesEdit
- They are also known as "sea vrykul". This term has been used on the official website, and exists in the model files, but has not yet appeared in-game.
- They appear to be based on the recordings of vikings having used mist as a way to mask their movements and create sneak attacks, which the kvaldir seem to excel at.
- They may be a reference to John Carpenter's The Fog which also features a race of raiders that are linked to a fog, much as the Kvaldir are linked to the mist.
The kvaldir cannot exist outside the mist with the exception of the raiders in Kaskala, however, this could simply be that Blizzard opted not to cover the area in mist. It is possible that the kaskalan Elder Muahit's quest to secure the aid of the elements against the kvaldir raiders is impacting the area. He mentions that the weather is assisting the Tuskarr, possibly by driving away the mist.
Battle Plans of the KvaldirEdit
- ^ Quest:Drottinn Hrothgar
- ^ Isuldof Iceheart says: Look to the seas, as your doom comes with the swell of tides.
- ^ Windan of the Kvaldir says: My brothers have awoken. Your efforts are wasted...
- ^ Rodin the Reckless says: From the mist and fog the Kvaldir approach. Flee while you still breathe the air of the living...
- ^ Fengir the Disgraced says: Your offering has come too late, little one. Can you feel the mist closing in upon you? The Kvaldir return...
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/argent-tournament.html
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/features/vashjir.html