Intimidating Shout is a shout Fear AoE special which lasts 8 seconds. It causes the target to become incapacitated for 8 seconds (any damage, i.e. Deep Wounds or Rend will break it). At the same time, it makes 5 other enemies within 10 yards to run away randomly, these enemies' fear is not so easy to break as the target's.
- This ability is possibly one of the most dangerous things a warrior can do in an Instance, as more often than not feared enemies will end up triggering new enemies, and once the 8 seconds are up, the original enemies will return with help.
- While soloing, it can be useful to escape if things are going badly. Using this, in combination with a Piercing Howl (Talent Shout), can buy the warrior enough of a head start to run clear of the fight, but this is best done in outdoor environment. In enclosed spaces, such as mines, caves or Instances, it usually causes more trouble than it saves. Also, Intimidating Shout can be used on a single target to stun them for 8 seconds. Any damage will break the stun so use Intimidating Shout (preferably while backing out of melee range), target yourself and bandage. You can use about 80% of a bandage this way.
- In PvP combat, this ability really shines - used in combination with Charge, a single warrior can totally disrupt an enemy front line, allowing supporting ranged and pet classes to take advantage of the ensuing chaos.
It could be noted that Intimidating Shout's tooltip is misleading and/or incorrect:
- "The warrior shouts, causing up to 5 enemies within 8 yards to cower in fear."
The tooltip suggests that this ability causes up to 5 nearby mobs to 'cower' in fear; where, in contrast, the shout only causes the targeted mob to 'cower', whilst up to 5 total nearby enemies will 'flee'. This anomaly, however, could be attributed to people's varying interpretations of 'cower' and 'flee'.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Cooldown reduced from 3 to 2 minutes.
- Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): The cowering in fear effect will no longer be applied when the target resists this shout. In addition, this shout will now affect a maximum of 5 targets.