Holy Fire is a priest ability learned at level 18 for those with the Discipline or Holy specializations. It causes direct damage (DD) and additional damage over time (DoT). About three quarters of the damage is caused by the DD, and the other quarter by the DoT. This is used in conjunction with when Holy Fire is on cooldown. To further emphasize this fact, a Glyph of Smite was made available. This glyph connects these spells, and creates a two-button spell circulation.
Modified by Edit
- Discipline abilities
- Holy abilities
- Spell damage is divided among the DD and the DoT. The exact formula is not known, but it does not seem to be divided proportional to the damage dealt.
- The DoT ticks every two seconds, contrary to most other DoTs.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): Discipline and Holy Priests can add a self-damaging utility to Holy Fire through a new Major Glyph.; Holy Fire now lasts 9 seconds (up from 7 seconds).
- Patch 5.2.0 (5-Mar-2013): Holy Fire is now an instant cast ability.
- Patch 4.1.0 (26-Apr-2011): Holy Fire damage has been increased to be approximately 30% higher than Smite.; Atonement now works with Holy Fire in addition to Smite.; The direct damage portion of Holy Fire can now trigger Evangelism.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Cast time reduced to 2 seconds, down from 3.5. Damage increased roughly 60%. Duration for the damage over time effect reduced to 7 seconds, down from 10. Holy Fire now has a 10 second cooldown.
- Patch 2.3.0 (13-Nov-2007): The tooltip on rank 4 has been adjusted.
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): The rank 9 tooltip has been corrected to indicate it does Holy damage.
- Patch 2.0.3 (09-Jan-2007): "Holy Fire" (rank 9) cast time has been adjusted for consistency with all other ranks of "Holy Fire" to 3.5 seconds.
- Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): Now available to all priests, starting at level 20.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Should now be affected by the Focused Casting talent. The cast time was reduced from five seconds to four seconds, which reduces the damage caused. Therefore, the damage was increased and more of the spell's potency was shifted into the damage-over-time portion. The duration was also increased and mana cost and cooldown were both decreased.
- Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): Fixed a bug with the bonus damage gained from +fire damage items. Such items now have a greater effect on this spell.