- Not to be confused with Hellfire Peninsula.
|Cooldown||(GCD 1.5 sec)|
Hellfire is a warlock ability learned at level 22 for those with the Demonology specialization. It is a PBAoE spell during which pulses of fire radiate out each second from the caster, causing damage to enemies within range and the caster as well. This spell is a channeling spell, so interruptions can shorten the duration and thus the damage output.
This is a great spell to use with an experienced healer, if you're not being focused on, and in large groups of enemies. Once started you deal out tremendous damage but also receive as much. Compared to other AOE, Hellfire is incredibly mana efficient, not taking into account the mana needed to heal. A popular combo is warlock/priest since Power Word: Shield minimizes channeling time lost, and if combined with Holy Nova, mobs die fast and the warlock is never in danger of dying.
Warlocks are unable to resist the damage that Hellfire does to themselves unless they use the ability of the Voidwalker, then the shield will take the damage until the shield fails or the effect is interrupted by moving.
If the warlock dies from this spell's effect, they take no durability damage. This allows the Warlock to save some repair costs when faced with certain doom. In such a scenario, a warlock will typically use to get low on health fast, then use Hellfire. This is commonly referred to as "Ghost Walking" and is a common way to get into Scholomance without possessing the Skeleton key.
- Patch 5.1.0 (27-Nov-2012): Now displays less intense visual effects for other players.
- Patch 4.0.6 (8-Feb-2011): Hellfire will not proc the Muradin’s Spyglass buff without hitting an enemy target.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): Dealing damage to another player with this ability will now put the Warlock in combat.
- Patch 2.3.0 (13-Nov-2007): This spell will no longer cause enemy spells to increase casting time or reduce channel time. It will also no longer prevent flag captures in Battlegrounds.