Helcular is a level 38 humanoid that can be found accompanied by Kel'Thuzad, patrolling the road to and from Southshore in the Old Hillsbrad Foothills, accessed via the Caverns of Time. In the World of Warcraft present timeline, he is dead, but can be resurrected as Helcular's Remains, a level 44 elite undead, as part of the Helcular's Revenge quest chain. If attacked by Alliance he summons skeletons to attack them.
Helcular was a mage living in the Hillsbrad Foothills, presumably having some affiliation with Kel'Thuzad's Cult of the Damned (and later, possibly, the Scourge, as his appearance in Old Hillsbrad predates the debut of the Scourge plague). Helcular was preparing to transform himself into a lich when a human lynch mob from Southshore found the cave where he was performing the ritual, and subsequently murdered him. He was buried in the Southshore graveyard.
One of Helcular's apprentices, Novice Thaivand, resides at the town of Tarren Mill. Now a member of the Forsaken, he directs members of the Horde to find Helcular's rod and begin the process of resurrecting him, so the dead mage could have his revenge on the people of Southshore.This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Helcular makes a reappearance in Cataclysm as a Forsaken quest giver, having survived his onslaught against Southshore and now seeks to remove the Worgen threat from the Banshee Queen's sphere of influence. He expresses the belief that his new opponent Ivar Bloodfang should have been killed in Silverpine, and seems to be eager to find a method by which to remove the Worgen's immunity to the curse of undeath.
Conversation with Kel'ThuzadEdit
At some point during their patrol in Old Hillsbrad, Kel'Thuzad and Helcular stop and begin conversing...a conversation that seems to indicate that Kel'Thuzad taught him the art of necromancy:
- Kel'Thuzad says: Keep your voice down, Helcular. Strangers abound...
- Helcular nods.
- Helcular says: So you can teach me this...this...
- Kel'Thuzad says: Necromancy. It is called necromancy. And yes, I have it within my power to bless you with this gift.
- Helcular says: And the Kirin Tor? What have they to say of necromancy?
- Kel'Thuzad says: That is none of your concern, Helcular, as you are neither Kirin Tor nor a necromancer.
- Kel'Thuzad says: But to be perfectly frank, I do not give a damn what the Kirin Tor think! They are fools, set in their archaic ways.
- Helcular says: Then teach me, Kel'Thuzad. Teach me everything you know...
- Kel'Thuzad nods.
- Kel'Thuzad says: In due time, Helcular... All in due time...
- If the pair encounter the captured critter that has been killed by the children Sally Whitemane and Renault Mograine then Kel'Thuzad continues
- Kel'Thuzad says: Come, Helcular, let me give you a small taste...
- Kel'Thuzad utters some unintelligible words.
- The critter is brought back to life
- Kel'Thuzad says: Now do you see, Helcular? Do you doubt the power? I control life!
- Kel'Thuzad says: And death...
- The critter dies again
- Kel'Thuzad says: I'm still working out some minor details...
Helcular's undead form is the object of the following quests:This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.