|Height||~ 3½ feet|
- "I may not exist yet, but I will, just as soon as I submit my resume to Blizzard".
Halfling is a race that does not exist in the Warcraft universe as separate from Gnomes. It was not adapted into the Warcraft RPG as it was deemed that they do not fit into the Warcraft setting. ( )
- Halfling is the common name used by humans for the Hobbit race in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth stories; most notably The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's Hobbits are generally rural farmers and not particularly adventurous.
- Similar half-sized races predate J.R.R. Tolkien's books, and remain popular in the post-Tolkien fantasy genre. Other names for halflings include Gnomes, Hin, Hobbits, Kender, Pecwae, Ratlings, Warrows & Wee-folk.
- Such races are the focus of the Halflings, Hobbits, Warrows & Weefolk anthology (ISBN 0446392812).
- Halfling is one of the standard playable races in the D&D RPG settings, where it is specifically a different race than Gnomes. In the original version of D&D they were Hobbits by name, but threats of legal action forced a name change to the generic halfling.
- Over the course of the three editions of AD&D and D&D 4th Edition, the race has further diverged from Tolkien's vision. With the Dark Sun game world portraying them as cannibalistic barbarians, and the core game portraying them as adventurous acrobats.