Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
GuildComm is a new (still under development) low-level addon that solves the challenge of storing a lot of guild-wide data and sharing it between all members. It is a peer-to-peer design that allows every guild member to act as a relay for transmitting the data to all other members, even as people log on and off.
Potential applications of GuildComm:
- Making player talents, gearsets, tradeskills, etc. available to any guildie at all times
- Radically enhanced raid scheduling including players automatically storing their bound Raid IDs for continuation scheduling
- Adding personal scheduling information e.g. "I'm available to raid at these times, but going on vacation this weekend"
- Managing DKP/EPGP/etc. and other per-player data without multiple addons competing for the extremely limited officer-note field
- Addition of more guild info to Guild Bank, MotD, etc.
Features of GuildComm: (to-be-implemented in parentheses)
- Automatic master election (attempts to assign the task to the most capable machine online at the time)
- Filesystem-style storage allows multiple addons to store and retrieve data in a manner that fits the addon
- Minimum-traffic peer-to-peer protocol uses folder signatures and timestamps to ensure everybody is kept up to date
- (Officer-level files are password-encrypted so all guildies help disseminate them but only officers can see them)
- (Special file types designed to accommodate multiple editors, e.g. officers tracking DKP and attendance, comments, etc.)
- Uses ChatThrottleLib for all communications, (with a big-message layer on top)
- Very simple API: File_Set(path,data), File_Get(path)
Addons using GuildComm Edit
- GuildComm-PlayerInfo - Stores a vast amount of player info including tradeskills, (gear, talents, main/alt character bindings, optional personal information ("A/S/L") for access by other players
- (GuildComm-Social - Displays the information from GuildComm-PlayerInfo in a pop-out of the Social window (like Outfitter))
GuildComm API Edit
The API is extremely simple (so far), consisting of nothing more than Set and Get commands. (Multi-writer files as used by officers and other such functions will come as implemented)
- String - Location of the "file" to set, e.g. "Player/R/Rhuidean/Tradeskill/Cooking"
- String - The actual data to set e.g. "|cffffd000|Htrade:2550:1:75:1000000...." for a tradeskill link
data = GuildComm:File_Set("path");
- String - Location of the file to retrieve, e.g. "Player/R/Rhuidean/Tradeskill/Cooking"
- String - Returned data