This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
(This is a dead topic, Please do not edit this page!)
- This discussion is moved from WoWWiki talk:Village pump#Policies. --User:Gourra/Sig2 12:50, 7 May 2009 (UTC)
Are we in need a of Video policy? Seems we have many vids linked or being uploaded and yet have no policy towards them... User:Coobra/Sig3 22:04, 24 February 2009 (UTC)
- DNP policy applies if nothing else. What else do we need to codify besides that? --
( • ) 01:05, 25 February 2009 (UTC)
- idk, maybe soom guidelines that clarifies how to insert a vid, stating which is preferred... linking through <youtube></youtube> or uploading it. I've been seeing vids uploaded and soon after deleted, even though they weren't off topic. I myself would think why upload youtube vids when it can simply be linked to, but others may not know how to link to them. User:Coobra/Sig3 22:38, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- Actually the videos aren't uploaded to the wiki, the video pages are just for simplifying use of videos. Instead of having to remember that "LkCNJRfSZBU" is the youtube ID for the Leeroy Jenkins video, you can just "assosciate" the name "Video:Leeroy Jenkins" with that video. Then, whenever someone puts [[Video:Leeroy Jenkins]], the video is shown. And it takes parameters in the same style as images, so you can add frames, captions and specify sizes. Ose talk/3721 15:27, 4 March 2009 (UTC)
I have no objections to having links to videos, particularly since those videos are hosted on the web sites of others. I do have objections, though, to embedding videos, particularly off-site ones, as part of wiki pages. It is the same problem that one faces with embedding picture files that are hosted on some other site: you are effectively stealing their bandwidth. Even with permission, that's not cool. If the videos have been uploaded to wowwiki, that objection goes away. But I've seen a number of strategy videos, and now interactive maps that are actually hosted on other sites being embedded as wiki content.
A second objection is against the possibility of exploits. There are flash exploits in the world, and I don't know that we've any procedures for vetting uploaded flash content (assuming it is possible). Vetting isn't even possible when the video is hosted on another site. --Eirik Ratcatcher (talk) 21:14, 24 June 2009 (UTC)
- The embedded video sites available with the Video Embed Tool specifically want people to embed videos. They provide the tools, we just utilise them. No stealing of bandwidth, here :) As for Flash exploits, understood: but the sites we allow are reputable sources (e.g. youtube). Security is a concern, but we don't think a big one for the limited sources of videos. 21:24, 24 June 2009 (UTC)
- Custom local JS I expect. I noticed it yesterday on the Midsummer Festival page: it's a great feature :) 23:12, 24 June 2009 (UTC)
Visit Forum:Extension to External links policy: Video Links for more.