This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
(This is a dead topic, Please do not edit this page!)
I think some images should follow a common pattern of naming. For example, the covers of the books. If you check their names, you'll realize most of them are named randomly and have nothing to do with the naming of others.
My idea for this would be to have a common naming for those important files. I'll focus on covers of books:
- Bookname is the acronym of the name of the book: WotA, RotLK, Legends, OB&H...
- Number is the number of the volume/book/issue if it has.
- Type is: Cover, CoverArtwork, CoverSample...
- Letter is like the number, when we have more than one cover.
Some examples: File:Ashbringer2CoverArtwork, Legends3Cover, WoW2CoverB, WoW15CoverSample, OB&HCover.
In same cases Bookname could be customized to avoid number, like calling Sund instead of WotA3. Archives could use number 0, or have custom bookname too.
What do you think?
This could be applied, too, for all those official images, like action figures and things like that. I would do this myself, but users aren't allowed to move images; only moderators can.
- I agree, it would be great to get image naming more consistent, similar to articles. However, I think we would need to be fairly relaxed about enforcing it on initial upload: it's scary as hell to have all sorts of warnings about what you should name your image, when in the end it has a fairly minor impact. Changing it after the upload is obviously more work, but much friendlier. 18:24, 11 May 2009 (UTC)
- Some move petitions:
- Also, I think some of these pages should be protected, since they mustn't be edited by any reason. If edition is needed, use the talk page. I say this because I fear someone could go and replace the artwork with the commercial cover accidentally.--Lon-ami (talk) 16:28, 22 May 2009 (UTC)