There seem to at least a several different presumptions regarding the Eredar origin, and yet i can't seem to find the one, which is thrice confirmed by Blizzard, so to say. The most interesting thing about this, is whether they were demonic beings from the very start of their existence, or a mortal race, who simply had natural talents for magical abilities and knowledge.
On the Eredar WoWWiki page the Titan's Origin states, that the titans believed many various races on the worlds they visited to be demons, when they in-fact weren't and that the titans were the ones who actually corrupted them. According to this origin, the Eredar, like many other mortal races were not demons at first, but were eventually transformed by the corruptive fel energy.
Original Lore claims that "Eredar were supreme sorcerers at the dawn of the universe. Some believe that they devoured their own world by using radical warlock magics. They consumed all life around them and set out to find more places of mystical power." and what's even more curious, it is written that "Over the eons, Sargeras encountered two powerful demonic races, both of which were bent on gaining power and dominance over the physical universe. One of them was the eredar, an insidious race of devilish sorcerers, who used their warlock magics to enslave a number of worlds that they had invaded." So the original lore practically implies that the Eredar were demons either from the very start of their existence, or possibly after being corrupted by magic and later capturing many worlds.
Here what is written in the "New Lore" paragraph: "The idea that eredar were previously mortal before being corrupted has existed long before The Burning Crusade's release. Chris Metzen stands by the lore described in the history section, who for better or worse are among the primary antagonists, more firmly in the backstory.
In the newer lore, Sargeras' first battles with demons may not have been with the eredar, it is possible he may have fought some other demonic race from the Twisting Nether before his battles with the nathrezim." If Chris Metzen stands by the original lore written in the "History" section of the Eredar page, than we can assume that the Eredar were at first mortals, but were then corrupted by Sargeras and transformed into the demonic man'ari?
Also, this is a bit off-topic, but i haven't found a direct answer. We know, that fel-magic corrupts those who use it. As it is written "Unlike arcane magic the use of fel magic corrupts the user’s body and soul. By contrast the chief danger of arcane magic is that using it inevitably leads to the desire to wield greater power: power that only fel magic can provide." The question which interests me, can a caster, who uses fel magic or the one who was tainted by it in any way, find either some resistant force, or get cured of it?
- The currently admitted lore is in Rise of the Horde: Eredar were magical-using being who were approched and then corrupted by Sargeras who was already evil since long.
- The previous lore was that the Eredar corrupted themselves and enslaved many worlds. Sargeras battled against them, but fell to madness while trying.
- Loremaster A'noob, Arch Druid of the Noobhoof Clan (talk/contribz) 14:30, September 24, 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for the explanation, now i am aware of current lore cyclones :)
- But doesn't this, though even in an insignificant way, dissonances with the idea, that arcane magic slowly weakens the spellcaster, bounding him to thirst for more magic and so on? If the Eredar, as in old lore, were evil, demonic beings (who could have certain immunities to arcane and even fel magic) and conquered worlds to simply find a new source of magic, that makes sense. The new lore,
- as i see it, adopts the idea of a mortal race, which used arcane magic and was yet powerful, independent and wise, but which has been rather tricked by Sargeras to join the demonic legion, or even possibly decided to do so with a full consciousness of dark consequences and excelling advantages, but not being forced into the legion out of their uncontrollable lust for magic. I may be wrong
- however, but i just don't see the Eredar being controlled by the magic which they understood and controlled so well.
- K0ct-ep (talk) 15:48, September 24, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm confused at how you are so confused lol. Read the book A'noob linked, it tells you the official canon lore of what happened, in great detail as well, all other conflicting sources of lore or information should be ignored as redundant. The Eredar retcon wasn’t very well received by lore buffs, even Metzen admitted that he forgot the original story, however I think most have gotten past it and accept (albeit perhaps grudgingly) the new lore. Max Krist (talk contribs) 12:29, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks, will do. But just to clear things up once and for all, did the original Eredar concept idea implicated that they were demons? Im not sure, but perhaps someone here has more knowledge of the very first concepts made by Blizzard. For example, the WarCraft III manual had Kaldorei concepts in various sketches, in which the druid males could telepathically control the female warriors and so forth k0ct-ep - the WiSe, WoMaNiZiNg wOnDeEr! 15:48, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Eh, don't get me started on how Blizz turned the archaic, sexist Night Elves into just your average race option. >.< As for the Eredar, they were originally as you mentioned, one of the demonic races which corrupted Sargeras. Nothing more was ever revealed about them as far as I'm aware... Max Krist (talk contribs) 10:25, September 27, 2010 (UTC)