Expansion 5 has now been officially announced as World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, and was the expected expansion for World of Warcraft after Mists of Pandaria. As of mid-July 2013, there had been only the slightest indicators that Blizzard was starting work on this expansion, based on a datamined Expansion05 directory.
Warlords of Draenor EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
BlizzCon 2013 annouced the following details...
- The fifth World of Warcraft expansion will be called World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor.
- New continent of Draenor (7 zones, 1 PvP zone)
- Build and upgrade your Garrison
- A level 90 character upgrade—play immediately!
- New player character models
- 6 new Dungeons and 2 new Raids
- Heroic versions of 2 classic Dungeons
- New Challenge modes
- New Battlegrounds and World Bosses
- New Normal and Heroic Scenarios
- Level cap raised to 100
- New class talents and permanent ability bonuses
- Refined quest system with hundreds of new quests
Pre-BlizzCon 2013 Speculation Edit
This section is for historical reference and for citation purposes. It does not necessarily reflect the current state.
Warlords of Draenor? Edit
Dark Below? Edit
In mid-August 2013, MMO Champion reported that Blizzard trademarked the name "The Dark Below" which could be the name of the new expansion (MMO Champion has a pretty good track record on these things). "The Dark Below" is a region of demons and other evil creatures according to the RPG's Manual of Monsters,  which gives hope to those who wanted or speculated a return of the Burning Legion.
Likely eliminating Diablo 3 from the running for using the name "The Dark Below", Blizzard launched a minimalist teaser site for Diablo 3 called "Reaper of Souls", and the background image is called d3x_teaser-en-us.jpg.
Activision, co-owner of Blizzard also own Destiny and they used the title The Dark Below for the expansion for that.
Or not? Edit
Reddit has now muddied the waters by giving evidence that someone in Europe is attempting to trademark "The Dark Below" as Blizzard. If Europe's system is like the US and the registrant is not confirmed until the application is accepted, we'll have to wait and see if this is for real in Europe also. Comparing the status of the EU application shows that as of 20-Aug-2013 it is merely "Filed" and not yet "Registered".
One of the most called for expansions is the return of the Burning Legion , as Kil'Jaeden and Sargeras still need to be defeated, along with other bosses. Chris Metzen said in a conference that in the next expansion we will need Turalyon's and Alleria Windrunner's help and that the possibility of Illidan Stormrage returning will be large. He said he loves a "good redemption story."
One of the most hinted at expansion ideas is The Dark Below could be related to the underwater realm of Queen Azshara and the Old God, N'Zoth. The story of Ozumat has yet to be finished as well. There will be likely an ancient city involved called Ny'alotha mentioned by the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron and hinted by more unique creatures. The box also refers to the ocean more in its whispers and refers to sleep, also including the Emerald Dream.
- ^ chaud 2013-07-17. Tier 16 Monk Set, Moderator Recruitment, Blue Posts, 25 DK Mogu'shan Vaults. MMO Champion.
- ^ Boubouille 2013-11-01. Blizzard Trademarks "Warlords of Draenor" - WoW Expansion. MMO Champion.
- ^ Boubouille 2013-08-13. Blizzard Trademarks "The Dark Below" - WoW or D3 Expansion?. MMO Champion.
- ^ Manual of Monsters, p.191
- ^ bloodyen 2013-08-16. The Dark Below is Trademarked in Europe. Reddit.
- ^ Go to TMView "Find term", enter "tm:The AND tm:Dark AND tm:below AND sc:Filed", and click Search button; 1 result returned
- ^ Go to TMView "Find term", enter "tm:The AND tm:Dark AND tm:below AND sc:Registered", and click Search button; no results returned
- ^ a b Next Expansion after MoP! - Forums - World of Warcraft, Archive of old EU official forums thread (page does not render correctly, see source)