|Improved Execute, Impale, Focused Rage, Sudden Death|
|Requirements||Requires melee weapon|
Enemy must be below 20% HP
Requires Battle Stance or Berserker Stance
- Showing weakness to a Warrior is a death sentence.
Execute is an instant-cast ability learned by Warriors. Execute can only be used when the target is below 20% health. The skill costs 15 rage to cast, and will convert up to 30 excess rage into additional damage. Execute has no cooldown (except for the Global Cooldown).
|Rank||Level||Base Damage||Bonus Damage per Rage||Cost|
- Improved Execute: reduces the Rage cost of Execute by 2/5.
- Impale: increases critical hit damage.
- Focused Rage: reduces the rage cost.
- Sudden Death: you keep at least 3/7/10 after using execute, and occasionally allows the use of execute on targets above 20% health.
Tips and tactics
- Execute is a very powerful attack, but one that requires a bit of timing and practice. The base 15 Rage is unlikely to finish the remaining 20% of the target's health in one hit, so it helps to build up rage as the target approaches 20% health. The theory is that once the target reaches 20% health, execute will gain enough bonus damage from excess rage to kill the target in one hit.
- It is unwise to begin saving rage too soon or you will drastically increase the amount of time it takes to kill an opponent. Auto-attacking for 10 seconds to save rage and then executing an enemy is generally a worse battle plan than executing an enemy then auto-attacking for 3–6 seconds to finish him off. Also, if you should chose to save rage, that does not mean that you should save your rage at all costs; you should still attempt to pummel CCs, stance dance for overpowers and rends (on rogues), and so on.
- The emptying of the Rage Bar means that you will be left with no rage for the next fight. The introduction of Victory Rush has reduced this disadvantage, but it is recommended that you recast Battle Shout before using execute to finish off your opponent. This will allow you to attack your next target without having to waste rage to re-buff yourself.
- The 2 piece set bonus of Onslaught Battlegear reduces the rage cost of Execute by 3, stacking with both Improved Execute and Focused Rage. With all said bonuses, execute cost can go down to a minimum of 4 rage needed. This will allow up to 26 rage get converted to extra damage, as opposed to only 15.
- Glyph of Execution makes your execute deal damage as if you had 10 more rage, so theoretically you can convert 106 rage to extra damage.
- The trick to using execute on long fight such as raidbosses however is not to build up rage, but instead to use it with as little rage as possible, since this highly boosts the damage per rage ratio of Execute. Most often this means you either spam execute every global cooldown, or you continue your normal rotation to dump rage, and only use execute when you have no other skills to use during that global cooldown.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): This ability now never costs more than a total of 30 rage. The tooltip for Sudden Death has been revised to remove reference to that maximum, since the ability now behaves that way even when untalented.
- Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005): Full rage is no longer consumed when the ability does not hit.