Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Event" can also refer to the Event API in WoW AddOn development. See Event API for more details.
For many of Azeroth's inhabitants, combat on both a grand scale and at the level of individual skirmishes has become ritualistic and in some ways even ceremonial. This page documents the ongoing confrontations and celebrations in the game — and those events in-between (player organized events included) which the line has blurred. Below are some of the events, which are fun if you ever get around to them.
- caravans, tents, or wagons being added to an area,
- decorations on buildings,
- new fixed devices,
- new mobs, quest givers, vendors, or other NPCs,
- special drink and food,
- holiday-specific quests and quest rewards, and
- holiday-themed recipes.
In World of Warcraft EditThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Before the dreaded Battle.net merge of the old community sites, there used to be a nice web-based calendar showing upcoming and past in-game events, but it the calendar is no longer accessible on the new Official sites. They can still be seen on the in-game calendar.
Patch 5.1 change EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Ongoing Events Edit
Over the course of Azeroth's troubled history, the times of celebration have fallen under the shadow of the conflicts that have shaped and scarred the world. Every day, as new challenges surface, new champions answer the call to arms, relishing the glory and the rewards of battles well fought. Below are details of some of the current disturbances warranting investigation - and participation - by the world's most adventurous heroes.
- Argent Tournament (permanent, added in Patch 3.1.0 and expanded in Patch 3.2.0)
- Battlegrounds Holiday (from Thursday night to Tuesday morning every week)
- Darkmoon Faire (appears one week per month around a week after the beginning of the month and accessible via portals near Goldshire, Elwynn Forest and southwest of Thunder Bluff, Mulgore)
- Elemental Invasions (occurred randomly, though frequently)
- Gurubashi Arena Booty Run (every 3 hours)
- Kalu'ak Fishing Derby (Saturday from 2 - 3 pm server time, added in Patch 3.3.0)
- Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza (Sunday from 2 - 4 pm server time)
Seasonal Events Edit
To help offset the strain and tension of constant warfare, the leaders of the Horde and the Alliance occasionally organize full-blown festivities for their people, centered around holidays and special events. What better way to celebrate the year's victories and other achievements than in the company of a few thousand of your closest allies?
|Azeroth Event||Time Period||Related Earth Event||Additional Info|
|New Year||Dec 31 - Jan 1||New Year's Eve||Gregorian calendar|
|Lunar Festival||Varies (Spring)||Lunar New Year||Chinese calendar|
|Love is in the Air||Feb 7th - Feb 20th||Valentine's Day|
|Children's Week||May 1st - May 7th|| Children's Day - Japan|
Mother's Day - US (and in most other countries, including: Belgium and the Netherlands)
|Midsummer Fire Festival||June 21st - July 5th|| Midsummer|
Canada Day - CAN
Independence Day - US
|US observed! Fire in the Sky Engineers' Explosive Extravaganza|
|Pirates' Day||Sept 19th||International Talk Like a Pirate Day||First observed Sept 19th, 2008.|
|Peon Day||Sept 30th||EU Closed Beta began: September 30, 2004||Observed only in Europe|
|Brewfest||Sept 20th - Oct 4th||Oktoberfest - Germany|
|Harvest Festival||Sept 27th - Oct 4th|| Roughly Thanksgiving - Canada, US (actually celebrated in October and November in Canada and US, respectively)|
Columbus Day - US
US Stress Test ended: September 12, 2004
|Hallow's End||Oct 18th - Oct 31st||Halloween|
|Day of the Dead||Nov 1st - Nov 2nd||Day of the Dead|
|Pilgrim's Bounty||Nov 20th - Nov 26th||Thanksgiving|
|Feast of Winter Veil||Dec 15th - Jan 2nd||Christmas|
World Events Edit
A number of one-time-only World Events have occurred throughout the game's history. Most of these events have either directly resulted in changes to the game world or were pre-cursors to expansion packs.
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj - Introduced in Patch 1.9.0, this two-part world event occurred once per server (until Patch 3.2.0) resulted in the opening of Ahn'Qiraj. It was comprised of a quest chain completed by a single player to obtain the Scepter of the Shifting Sands to open the gates themselves, as well as a server-wide war effort to gather materials for the Horde and Alliance to battle the insectoid menace that issued forth from the opened gates.
- The Scourge Invasion - Originally introduced in Patch 1.11, this world event involved an invasion of Scourge forces across the world to coincide with the release of the Naxxramas raid instance.
- Elemental Invasions - Starting with Patch 1.4, this world event involved the appearance of groups of various types of elementals reportedly throughout Azeroth (although mostly just Kalimdor: Silithus, Un'goro Crater, Azshara, and Winterspring).
- The Dark Portal Opens - Introduced in Patch 2.0.1, this world event was a precursor to the Burning Crusade expansion and featured the forces of the Horde, Alliance, and Argent Dawn fighting back against the demonic legions entering Azeroth through the Dark Portal.
- Capture of Sun's Reach - Introduced in Patch 2.4.0, this world event occurs once per server and requires the completion of a number of daily quests on the Isle of Quel'Danas in order to allow the Shattered Sun Offensive to take over and rebuild the town of Sun's Reach.
- The Spirit of Competition - This event occurred simultaneously with the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, and simply rewarded players for completing battlegrounds during the event.
- Zombie Infestation - Introduced in Patch 3.0.2, this world event was a precursor to the Wrath of the Lich King expansion and featured plagued crates that would transform players into zombies with the ability to pass the zombie plague onto others. It was followed by a repeat of the Scourge Invasion world event from Patch 1.11.0.
- Operation: Gnomeregan and Zalazane's Fall - Beginning on September 7, 2010 as part of Patch 3.3.5, these world events were the first precursors to the Cataclysm expansion and allowed Alliance and Horde players to assist in the retaking of Gnomeregan's surface and the Echo Isles respectively.
- Elemental Unrest - Occurring just after the release of Cataclysm (patch 4.0.1), groups of elementals will attack citizens and denizens of four major faction capitals, supposedly encouraged by elemental lieutenants reporting to Cho'gall who leads the Twilight's Hammer clan and serves Deathwing.
- Theramore's Fall - A pre-launch scenario available to level 85 character a week before the launch of Mists of Pandaria. The experience for each faction is quite different with Horde players helping plan and execute a Mana Bomb attack on Theramore and Alliance players trying to thwart the attack, defend the city, and evacuate survivors.
- Iron Horde Invasion - Occurred primarily in the Blasted Lands prior to the launch of Warlords of Draenor (Patch 6.0.3). The event consisted primarily of completing a short series of quests and the limited time level 90 version of 5-man Upper Blackrock Spire.
- Legion Invasions - Started roughly a month before the release of Legion (Patch 7.0.3) it involved driving back Legion forces in six zones in Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.
Exclusive recipes Edit
|Feast of Winter Veil|
| sold by||25|
| one randomly from |
quest reward for
commonly sold on AH
|Midsummer Fire Festival|
Other Events Edit
- ^ a b c d e f Kaivax 2011-10-06. Happy Holidays. Official World of Warcraft Community site (US).
Blizzard Entertainment 2011-10-06. Happy Holidays. Official World of Warcraft Community site (EU).
- ^ Peon Day! by Daliniya, 28/09/2005 at the old EU official site
- ^ Europeans celebrate Peon Day! -- Sprawl 29 Sep, 2005 at WoWVault
- ^ Was Oct 18th - Nov 1st before 2011
- ^ Was Nov 22nd - Nov 28th before 2011
See also Edit