Distract is a core rogue ability learned at level 28. It allows rogues to throw what appears to be a small smoke pellet at a targeted location, forcing any mobs (and enemy players) to turn to look at it.
When distract is active, a circle appears on the ground underneath your mouse indicating distract's radius of effect. When used (by clicking on the ground), any hostile creature inside of the distract radius will snap their attention towards the center of the circle for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds the creatures will return to their normal position.
Modified by Edit
- Because a mob's chance of detecting you is greatly reduced when positioned behind them, you can use distract to turn mobs around and sneak around them.
- Distract can be used in PvP on hostile characters. Use distract on fleeing opponents to give yourself a chance to catch up.
- Distract has a small chance of being resisted. A mob leveled higher than the rogue has a greater chance of resisting distract.
- Distract does not require but can be used while stealthed.
- If you're having trouble gauging the depth of the field you're on, you can use distract as a visual marker. The range of distract is 30 yards, so hold the distract circle out in front of you until it turns red; the exact point where your marker turns red is exactly 30 yards from your current location.
- Distract can be used to allow gathering without combat. If a mob patrols over or near the node, just distract it while it's as far away as possible. You should have time to loot and restealth before the mob returns.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 1.11.0 (20-Jun-2006): The Rogue’s ability Distract now works properly against other players.
- Patch 1.2.0 (18-Dec-2004): Distract is now effective against creatures that are already distracted.