|Cone of Cold|
|Casting time||Instant cast|
|Cooldown||12 sec (GCD 1.5 sec)|
Cone of Cold is a core mage ability learned at level 28. It deals frost damage to all enemies in front of the caster. It is a point-blank Area of Effect spell. The area of effect is a 90 degree arc region (a "cone") extending 10 yards in front of the caster. The spell also snares all enemies it hits with a 60% speed reduction for six seconds.
Modified by Edit
Arcane specialization ability
Frost specialization ability
Cone of Cold is hard to use while running, despite its instant casting time. Slight lag will make the cone occasionally point in odd directions, or at odd angles if the caster is also turning. The cone will always point in the direction the caster is facing, even while moving in one direction but facing another, such as when jumping, falling or strafing. To make sure you hit your target, try to be standing still or moving straight backwards when you cast, the cone will then always be where you expect it.
When under the effects of Cone of Cold, enemies are moving at 40% speed. Backwards movement is 50% of normal running speed. It's possible to Cone of Cold a target, then backpedal while casting instant spells.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 4.0.6 (8-Feb-2011): The attachment point of Cone of Cold was too far left and has been adjusted on male troll models.
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): The tooltip on this ability will now update properly from all talents which increase its damage by a percentage.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): The mana has been reduced by approximately 15%.
- Patch 1.11.0 (20-Jun-2006): The bonus this spell receives from effects that increase spell damage has been increased.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Targets that are immune to movement slowing effects will no longer be affected by Cone of Cold's movement slowing effect. Damage will still be caused.