Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Metzen began his career in Blizzard Entertainment as an artist, while the storyline was left to Allen Adham and Ron Millar. In Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness he took a bigger role as the designer of the story, but also made artwork and voice acting. In Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal Blizzard Entertainment outsourced Cyberlore Studios to do the game and Metzen was in charge of storyline consultation and editions.
His style characterized the earlier Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo series and he eventually became art director. Eventually his position as Vice President of Creative Development (circa 2009) had given him the reins over lore and storylines created for the games of the Blizzard franchise, the foundations of which were laid by previous designers.
On Monday, September 12th, 2016, Blizzard Entertainment announced that Metzen would be retiring. A blue post on his behalf (presumably written by him) was posted by Kaivax on the General Discussion (US) forum. The exact day that will be his last is unknown.
Voice acting Edit
He is believed to be the voice of Nefarian, and has confirmed he voiced Ragnaros, and a number of unspecified bosses in World of Warcraft. Also he is the voice of Thrall in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, The Frozen Throne and World of Warcraft and the voice of Rexxar in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. In World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, he furthermore voiced King Varian Wrynn ,Deathbringer Saurfang / Dranosh Saurfang.
- Alliance & Horde Compendium, co-author
- Of Blood and Honor, a warcraft novel
- Manual of Monsters, co-author
- He was also part of "Creative and Rules Design Assistance and Additional Material" staff for the entire Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG series. As well as Interior Artist for several of the books.
- Metzen also supervises the lore created for the pen & paper rpg, mangas, and novels.
- Azeroth Choppers (appearing as himself)
- He has voiced numerous characters in the Warcraft and StarCraft games.
- In World of Warcraft, his responsibility extends into coordinating with artists to create environments that give players a sense of continuity and cohesiveness.
- Metzen has used the alias "Thundergod" in multiple online venues, and also self-styles himself as "The Bourbon Cowboy".
- In an interview about the Warcraft movie he revealed that "His heart lies with the Horde".
- The Feast of Winter Veil features a quest to rescue Metzen the Reindeer from kidnappers. Doing so rewards players with the ability to transform their mount into a similar-looking reindeer.
- Additionally, there is an officer of the Argent Dawn (and later Crusade), Avenger Metz, who bears a strong resemblance to Metzen's avatar on Sons of the Storm.
- In StarCraft II, the pilot of Thor looks very much like Metzen and says "I, AM A THUNDERGOD!" after being clicked several times.
- ^ Marla Desat 2014-04-17. Blizzard's Azeroth Choppers Web Series Premieres Today. EscapistMagazine.com.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Human manual, pg. 35
- ^ a b Karune. BlizzCast Episode 12. BlizzCast. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition manual, pg. 94
- ^ a b c Karune. BlizzCast Episode 2. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ Kaivax 2016-09-13. A Message from Chris Metzen. World of Warcraft > General Discussion (US) forum.
- ^ Seth Schiesel 2006-05-06. Interview: Jeff Kaplan on World of Warcraft Expansion. The New York Times. Retrieved on 2009-12-29. “
Q. So is that you talking on the Nefarian class calls?
A. No that's not me. I think that might actually be Chris Metzen.”
- ^ a b c d e f Chris Metzen (2009). Blizzcon Panel. BlizzCon 2009. YouTube. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ a b Chris Metzen. IMDB. Retrieved on 2009-12-29.
- ^ BlizzCon '08 - Day 1 Friday Oct 10. Animesou.com. Retrieved on 2009-12-29. “...although Chris Metzen still retains his role as Thrall...”
- ^ Talking To Himself. Retrieved on 2009-04-14. “Chris Metzen, best known as a story-writer, also voice acts two characters in Warcraft III. These characters, Thrall and Rexxar, happen to get a lot of dialogue in the expansion pack orc campaign.”
- ^ Medievaldragon. Chris Metzen & Micky Neilson Pocket Star Books Lore Q&A Video Interview. BlizzPlanet. Retrieved on 2009-04-14. “I mean Malfurion's always been, personally, my favorite Warcraft hero...”