Switches between 3d engines. Accepts d3d9, d3d11, gll or opengl as parameters.
- DirectX 9.0c Memory management system 2.0
- Not recommended for Windows users except for testing purposes as it can cause WoW to crash itself
- New DirectX11 compatibility - only works with Vista (All updates required)/Windows 7, and DX10/DX11 graphics cards
- Rewrite of OpenGL, allowing for more graphics card usage, resulting in higher fps.
- Recommended for most users
Patch changes Edit
/ Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010):
- DirectX11 compatibility mode added - "d3d11"
- DirectX 9.0c functionality replaced with DirectX 9.0c Memory management system 2.0 (previously d3d9ex)
- New backend for Windows users added to the game engine. To enable, change this CVar to "d3d9ex".
- This CVar now defaults to "d3d9" from "direct3d" for Windows users.
- Mac users default changed to "GLL" from "OpenGL".
Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): New backend for Mac users to increase fps/better GPU usage as an alternate to "OpenGL" introduced. To enable, change this CVar to "GLL".