The Alliance Military Ranks are the assumed ranks of the Army section of the Stormwind Military. While no Navy or Air Force ranks are shown (except in the cases of important NPCs, such as Admiral Taylor, formerly Captain Taylor), it is fair to assume these ranks are the concrete foundation of the Grand Alliance Army. The in-game plaque of the Army ranks is located in Stormwind City, at the entrance to the Champions' Hall. [75, 66]
Roleplaying guidelines Edit
In the case of military RP, it is worth noting that all of the Alliance military ranks are based on the military structures of the real world, albeit much more compressed, with the following comparisons:
- Senior Officers
- Grand Marshal - Lieutenant General (LTG) (O-9) 38 years of service.
- Field Marshal - Major General (MG) (O-8) - 30 years of service.
- Marshal - Brigadier General (BG) (O-7) - 22 years of service.
- Commander - Colonel (COL) (O-6) - 15 years of service.
- Lieutenant Commander - Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) (O-5) - 13 years of service.
- Knight-Champion - Major (MAJ) (O-4) - 8 years of service.
- Knight-Captain - Captain (CPT) (O-3) - 4 years of service.
- Knight-Lieutenant - First Lieutenant (1LT) (O-2) - 2 years of service.
- Knight - Second Lieutenant (2LT) (O-1) - Introduction.
- Sergeant Major - Sergeant Major (E-9) - 9 years of service.
- Master Sergeant - Master Sergeant (E-8) - 8 years of service.
- Sergeant - Sergeant (E-5) - 3 years of service.
- Corporal - Corporal (E-4) - 2 years of service.
- Private - Private (E-1) - Introduction.
As such, a person is able to begin at the rank of Knight (i.e. an Officer) if they posses the right criteria. Most officers earn their commission without having risen up from private, and usually enter at the rank of Knight. This is usually based on a mixture of external employment (within considerable organisations such as the Church, the Silver Hand or another formal body), peerage (nobility) and personal financial circumstance. This would also mean assuming a person enlisted as an officer between the ages of 16 and 18, they would realistically reach the rank of Grand Marshal no sooner than at the age of 56.
While unspecified, it can be assumed that any rank above Grand Marshal would be filled by the various leaders of each Alliance member by race. For example, while a Grand Marshal could be of any community within the Alliance, the primary make up of branch leaders (Army, Navy, Air Force) would be filled by each leading member of the Alliance, all under the supreme command of the High King (currently Anduin Wrynn).
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 1.11.1 (28-Jun-2006): Added.