The Icecrown gunships are sometimes called airships on the official community site and in several spells and files. The 'gunships' above the Isle of Conquest are called Airships in-game, showing it is an alternate name.
The World of Warcraft Battle Chest Guide may refer to zeppelins as airships at times.
In-game, airships are used for many different things such as transportation of people, materials and warlike use, as seen in Icecrown.
See also Edit
- ^ More Magic and Mayhem, page 163 "Technology allows everything from spring-heeled boots to automatic lock-picks, to steam powered armor, tanks, and even fabulous flying machines like gnomish airships and goblin zeppelins."
- ^ Note: the context of the above sentence appears to describe devices found in both More Magic & Mayhem and the previous book Magic & Mayhem. The only gnomish technology remotely connected to flying found in either book is the gnomish copter (aka gnomish helicopter). If the authors had intended some other kind of flying ship other than the gnomish copter it is unknown, but no other source has confirmed any other types of gnomish "airships" (in a lighter than air context).
- ^ Manual of Monsters
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/publictransportation.html
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/pt-airships-gallery.html
- ^ http://www.wowhead.com/?search=Icecrown+Airship