World of Warcraft was referenced in the popular TV series Stargate Atlantis during the 10th episode (Episode 10 - "The Return", Part One) of the third season of the show. In this scene, Dr. Weir tries to distract Dr. Lee by acting as if she plays World of Warcraft while Dr. McKay tries to crack into his computer.
Weir's knowledge of World of Warcraft is understandably incomplete (apart from anything else, Blizzard does not support players in Atlantis). The show actually aired a few weeks before beta testing for The Burning Crusade.
- SCENE: DOCTOR LEE'S LAB
- [WEIR tries to distract LEE from seeing McKAY accessing his computer.]
- LEE: I gotta say I have never met a woman this into World of Warcraft. I--
- WEIR: It's a silent passion of mine.
- LEE: Oh, as it is with all of us. I'm uh... level 75, Mage. I'm specializing in engineering and jewelling. You?
- WEIR: Oh, wow... level 75? Eh... Me? I'm only 50.
- LEE: Ah, well, I had the beta of the expansion pack, so I sorta had a leg up on most people. What's your race?
- [McKAY makes a signal for WEIR to continue distracting LEE longer.]
- WEIR: Mage...
- LEE: You know, I'm trying to increase my enchanter skills, but I don't know. It's just not going very well.
- WEIR: Oh, I disagree, Bill.
- LEE: What? Oh... Uh, Rodney--
- WEIR: [Quickly draws LEE back to her attention] I don't mean-- I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so forward.
- LEE: Oh, no, no, go be forward. I--
- WEIR: Well, oh... Look, I'm not quite sure how exactly I should put this...
- [McKAY quickly types his name into the database.]
- LEE: A true Mage speaks his mind or her mind, in your case.
- McKAY: Wow! Will you look at the time? Where does it go, huh?
As well, during the second episode of the fourth season, Dr. Lee makes another reference to World of Warcraft, this time comparing a planet in the Pegasus galaxy that he and Samantha Carter had gated to before to Elwynn Forest.