I have found that the distribution of fish I catch out of the same body of water changes as my skill has increased. This has led me to believe that each fish within a body of water has a different skill rating. Has anyone else noticed this?
I had that theory as well. It seemed to help to go without some of the +fishing gear / bobbers to catch specific fish in certain areas. It also seems extremely difficult to calculate. But yes I noticed it also. Akiwoodoh (talk) 23:36, 5 June 2008 (UTC)
Can we get a list of fishing locations, sorted by region? This would help me improve my skill. --Scalp 16:11, 1 Nov 2005 (EST)
- I have started to amend the fishing locations, but maybe its time for a new page? Fishing Locations --Wvdc 14:55, 21 March 2006 (EST)
- interesting read, and useful info for this page : http://wow.toshimo.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 CJ 05:13, 13 June 2006 (EDT)
Fishing mod to keep track of server time?
Under Effects of Time on Fishing, it says there's no hard evidence for the times that certain fish are caught. Are there any fishing mods that keep track of time? I know of FishingBuddy which is pretty good, but to my knowledge it only keeps track of the number of fishes and the percentage thereof.
- It looks like FB keeps track of sunscale/nightfin over time (there's a graph) but I don't know if that functionality extends to other fish. Cornprone 19:09, 15 June 2006 (EDT)
- I've never gotten that graph to be useful. It's just a tab that just sits there. Why is there no data there? Is it only for those fish? I've never caught any. Schmidt 11:55, 16 June 2006 (EDT)
- Yeah, if you catch those 2 fish, they will show up on the graph. Don't know if it does anything else. Cornprone 00:10, 17 June 2006 (EDT)
- Actually, it turns out it tracks both nightfin/sunscale (by time of day) and summer bass/winter squid (by time of year). But only after you've caught one or the other. Cornprone 20:16, 26 June 2006 (EDT)
- I caught several Plated Armorfish during daylight hours today, and several during mid-day a few weeks ago. I don't think they're entirely nocturnal, or at all. SpACatta 00:38, 08 November 2006 (EST)
Effects of season on fishing
Don't forget you can only fish Winter Squid in Winter and Summer Bass in Summer. --Caeryn 16:39, 28 July 2006 (EDT)
Note: the following remarks were removed by me from the article's body. No idea who the actual authors are. Malusz 16:49, 16 August 2007 (UTC)
(Can someone confirm? After catching 300 fish in the evening, with 0% drop rate, I now caught 4 in 50 ( 8% ) in the day time. Do they not drop at all during evening, night and morning? Data from High Wilderness, Feralas.) (Confirmed - caught about 200 fish with 0% Eel drop rate at night, then got 9 in about 100 next morning. Loc: Verdantis River, Feralas.)
Fishing poles as weapons
Anyone ever noticed that, if you equip a fishing pole, your fishing skill is used as weapon skill? So fully buffed you can get a weapon skill of 452, which is really amazing. The downside is that most classes do not really take an advantage of it because fishing poles lack other stats and dps.
The only exception is a druide, because in animal form your dps is independent of your weapons dps.
To quick summarize what +152 weapons skill means:
- + 6.08% crit chance
- - 6.08% enemy chance to evade
- - 6.08% enemy chance to dodge
- - 6.08% enemy chance to parry
- - 6.08% enemy chance to block
--Benhoof 04:35, 1 August 2006 (EDT)
- I think that Druid attacks use a weapon skill equal to 5 x XP level while in animal form, not the skill of the weapon currently equipped. The other downside of fighting with a fishing pole is that melee classes cannot use their special attacks, as it is not considered a "melee weapon". --Mellonicus 00:21, 1 November 2006 (EST)
- Doesn't weapon damage add on to damage while in a form? ````
Information on how the swarms for would be appreciated. As in are they on a cycle, something like 5 Blackmouth 3 Firefin Snapper and then 1 Stonescale Eel comes up? Or is it simply percentage based where Stonescale Eel has 5% chance to appear after another school is used up?
The leveling guide suggests fishing in Nagrand and Terokkar quite early. My only experience is trying to fish in Terokkar (near the horde holde) at 312+(25+75) skill and I was missing at least 50% of the fishes. I believe the focus should stay in Zangarmarsh until reaching a correct level for switching to Terokkar. The guide suggests 320, on Thottbot someone suggests having 450 skill (buffed i guess).
But clearly, if you want to powerlevel, you don't want any fish getting away...
--Miette 08:18, 21 February 2007 (EST)
Aquadynamic fish attractor
I am under the impression that fish are caught faster when I use a Aquadynamic Fish Attractor than with a Bright Baubles. I'll try to come up with numbers first to check that, but does anyone else have the same impression?
--Miette 08:26, 21 February 2007 (EST)
- higher fishing skill - 09:20, 21 February 2007 (EST)
- It is generally thought that fishing skill does not affect how quickly fish get hooked each cast (if that's what you mean). However, if you can come up with the data, I'd be interested in seeing it. Personally, I haven't noticed Aquadynamic Fish Attractor doing that for me. --Cornprone 23:37, 23 February 2007 (EST)
- That is correct, I leveled my fishing to 350 right in town, and it still takes just as long per fish as it does on my low level alts. Skill only determes if the fish will get away or not.--Stfrn 00:02, 24 February 2007 (EST)
Fish vs Time of day
It is said and even confirmed that Lightning Eels drop only during the day. This is not true anymore as I caught a few during the night. (between 10:44 and 10:50 pm server time ) in the Eastern Plaguelands.
--Tibrin 03:14, 1 August 2007 (UTC)
Leader quests for artisan
The paragraph covering the leader quests for Artisan fishing has had the quest info removed. While this makes the page shorter, characters in the 35-40 range do get almost 1000XP for popping past a trainer in their capital city before going to see Nat Pagle, so I am wondering if that infromation is relevant, maybe in a 'there are leader quests for both factions to Nat' kind of a note. --Dga 21:26, 21 August 2007 (UTC)
New fishing tip?
I don't know if this is a worthy tip to be put in, so I'll let someone else decide. The leveling of fishing from 1-375 seems long and boring. However, if each level you gain you train it 5 levels, you will barely notice it, and it will be 375 when you hit 70.
The Blump quest gives a +3 pole, this is not worth traveling to darkshore to do since a +5 [Strong Fishing Pole] is available throughout. Gmillerd 05:40, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
I removed the passage "As long as the bobber does not despawn, the time between the splash and the click does not affect the probability of catching something." from the Tips section. Personal testing as of 19th of October 2007 (patch 2.2.3) shows that you have approximately 3-4 seconds (definitely less than 5s) to click the bobber, or you will get "No fish are hooked". --Asherett 17:23, 19 October 2007 (UTC)
Snagged someone's clothes
- Did you search the waters... might have been a dead body down there. =P User:Coobra/Sig3 04:44, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
Increasing fishing skill
Something wrong or I don't understand something? But while I were training fishies from 275 up to 300 in azshara I counted every fish and it always were 12 fishies to upgrade.