Hyenas are large carnivorous beasts found in the most barren areas of Kalimdor. Hyenas are pack hunters infamous for their cunning and their unnerving vocalizations. A favorite tactic is to send a few individuals against the foe’s front while the rest of the pack circles and attacks from the flanks or rear.
They are most dangerous when traveling in packs. Hyenas often have an ability to inflict dangerous diseases on those who fight them. Centaur hunters in the Barrens and Desolace often keep them as pets, while some members of the Scarlet Crusade use red hyenas as attack animals. Hyenas are skinnable. They are found in the Barrens, Desolace, Tanaris, Blasted Lands, Scarlet Monastery, Western Plaguelands, and Thousand Needles.
Hunter pet Edit
|Specialization (upon taming)|
|The Hyena eats|
|The Hyena comes with|
|All pets come with|
Though hunters can respec their pet hyenas into Cunning or Tenacity, they are inherently Ferocity. In addition to the abilities that come standard with all pets ( and ) and those given to their natural or retrained specialization, all hyenas are given the following:
- Striped hyena: The striped hyena is about 3 feet long and weighs about 120 pounds.
- Dire hyena
The subspecies below can be tamed by hunters.
- A H [40 Rare]
- A H [31 Rare]
- A H [52 Rare]
- A H [56 Rare]
- A H 
- A H [49 Rare]
- A H [44 Rare]
- A H [31 Rare]
- Although they look similar to dogs, the hyena is more closely related to the family of mongooses and meerkats, which are "cat-like" carnivores.
- Gnolls are hyena-like humanoids.
- Several mobs that once used the hyena model have been updated to use the new mastiff model in Cataclysm, such as the various hounds employed by the Scarlet Crusade.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Bonuses equalized. Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus. Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Major changes. Gained new ability, Tendon Rip. Hyenas can no longer eat fruit. Armor had a +5% bonus and now has no bonus. Health had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus. Damage had no bonus and now has a +10% bonus.