|Cooldown||25 sec (GCD 1 sec)|
- The elements will ensure our safe passage. — Zorin (TCG)
Grounding Totem is a core shaman ability learned at level 38. It applies a buff to all party members within range every 10 seconds which effectively makes them immune to the next spell cast on them, except AoE spells. The spell will affect the totem instead, destroying it.
- The totem is useful for shutting down mages in PVP. Simply to break their first cast, drop the Grounding Totem to absorb their second cast, and Wind Shear should be ready again by the time the mage can cast again.
- It is also useful to place a Grounding Totem when healing as it can redirect spells that interrupt you.
- Noteworthy when trying to escape a class that has spell-based snares, such as a mage's Frostbolt.
- It is rare for a totem to absorb more than one direct damage spell. This can happen if the two spells finish casting before the totem is hit by the initial spell. Spells with a travel time do not damage the target until the projectile hits; the totem will redirect any of these types of spells until it takes damage and summarily is destroyed.
- Grounding totems do not tend to work against boss abilities that mind control players. However, they do work against monster-initiated mind controls. The same is true for fear effects. Direct damage effects and curses are generally groundable, even if from a boss.
- Patch 1.6.0 (12-Jul-2005): Fixed graphical anomalies when using channeled abilities in a group with a grounding totem.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Fixed a bug that allowed some area of effect spells to be "grounded" and/or destroy the totem.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Should no longer redirect area effect spells or be destroyed by area effects spells.