A dark troll as seen in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.
|Character classes||Berserker, Trapper, High priest, Shadow priest, Warlord (WC3); Barbarian, Shaman (WRPG)|
|Primary language(s)||Low Common|
|Alignment||Usually chaotic evil|
There is no evidence that the dark trolls have ever formed a civilization or nation. As their estimated numbers are so few their existence as a distinct category of trolls is considered highly questionable. It seems likely that they are derived from a single troll tribe.
When Grom Hellscream first arrived in Ashenvale Forest, he found and destroyed a dark troll settlement. Later, small settlements of dark trolls were destroyed by Tyrande, Malfurion, and their army during their search for the Druids of the Talon. However, a group of dark trolls named the ShadowTooth Clan joined the night elves in the Battle of Mount Hyjal.
Dark trolls are muscular, wiry humanoids that stand almost 10 feet tall. They have a royal purple hue of skin  and pointed features. Their choice of war paint tends to be black or a shade of purple. They have pale yellow eyes that glare as they slip out of shadows.
Dark trolls lead a mostly subterranean existence, and emerge at night to hunt. They have a tribal structure, in which physical power and cunning are held in great esteem. Tribal shamans offer spiritual guidance and divine magic when necessary. This is similar — but far more primitive — in social structure to jungle trolls, the most civilized of trollkind. They practice voodoo, ritual sacrifices and even occasional cannibalism. Dark trolls are possibly the most violent of all troll species and are feared even among their own kind.
Dark troll culture is as primitive as their forest troll cousins but they are more violent than forest trolls, and it has been theorized that dark trolls are much less intelligent than the other trolls.
Groups of dark trolls
Alleged sightings of dark trolls usually involve hulking and brutish creatures who attack with little tactical planning or coordinated effort. They attack with battleaxes or spears in combat, but they are by no means limited to using weapons. Even when disarmed, they can be lethal with their claws. They fight without fear, relying on their natural healing ability to keep them going. A dark troll's favored class is barbarian.
Units in Warcraft IIIThis section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft III.
- Dark Troll
- Dark Troll Trapper
- Dark Troll Berserker
- Dark Troll Warlord
- Dark Troll Shadow Priest
- Dark Troll High Priest
- Besides the units from the melee maps new units were added to this official scenario map:
In World of Warcraft?
The Cult of the Dark Strand in northwestern Ashenvale has a number of troll members who could possibly be dark trolls, however, no dark troll settlements has been seen, and those in the strand are likely jungle trolls.
In CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- Though they can be found nearly anywhere, they prefer darkness to daylight.
- The blood elves find the dark trolls of interest.
- Goblins are becoming fast friends with the dark trolls as both races enjoy the stolen loot the pirates obtain.
- There is some debate as to how many categories are necessary in order to describe the troll race. Some have chosen to specify a fifth category: The dark trolls. However, their existence as a distinct category of troll is considered highly questionable. In consequence, it seems likely that if the dark trolls do exist, they are derived from a single troll tribe.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Manual of Monsters pg. 99
- ^ a b c d e f g Troll Compendium archived pages. Old official World of Warcraft community site (US). Archived from the original on 2010-11-07.
Troll Compendium archived pages. Old official World of Warcraft community site (EU). Archived from the original on 2009-12-14.
- ^ a b "Eternity's End: The Druids Arise", Warcraft III. Blizzard Entertainment. Dark Forest Troll Hut.
- ^ a b http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/troll/foresttrolls.html
- ^ a b c d e "Eternity's End: Twilight of the Gods", Warcraft III. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ a b "The Invasion of Kalimdor: The Spirits of Ashenvale", Warcraft III. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ "Eternity's End: The Druids Arise", Warcraft III. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/darktrolls.shtml
- ^ Manual of Monsters pg. 100
- ^ Alliance & Horde Compendium, pg. 68
- ^ Alliance & Horde Compendium, pg. 71