Arcane Anomaly is a creature found in Karazhan.
Attacks and abilities Edit
- Basic Melee: Hits for around 3,000 on cloth.
- Arcane Volley: Multi-target arcane attack with a 2 second cast. Hits for around 2,500.
- Mana Shield: 100% of all damage absorbed, mana drained equal to damage absorbed. Cannot be dispelled.
- Loose Mana: AoE effect that occurs after death. Restores 175 mana per second for 20 seconds.
- Teleport: Teleports to random player. Aggro table is wiped.
These are always found with a pack of Syphoners, which deal little damage and float around the raid draining mana. It is smart to kill these mobs before working on the Syphoners, as the effect of Loose Mana will help to counteract the draining ability of the Syphoners.
These mobs are immune to banish and other CC techniques, and life draining effects do not return life while the mana shield is up. Similarly, Seed of Corruption will not properly detonate with the mana shield operational. The Anomalies are also resistant to arcane and nature damage due to their Elemental properties.
One of the more effective methods of dealing with these pulls is to have the MT pull the mobs quite far back, and to fear bomb the adds until the Anomalies have been killed, at which point the syphoners can be killed quite easily. The entrance to the room where the first two Arcane Watchmen are found makes a fantastic choke point to accomplish this.
Paladins will find it near impossible to tank an Arcane Anomaly. The mana shield soaks all damage, meaning no holy damage taken and no threat generated. A paladin can hold aggro until the first teleport, but will be unable to regain it afterwards.
While the mana shield cannot be dispelled, Anomalies do not start with one. It is activated after aggroing the group. A mage could pull with a pyroblast (then flee) or a Marksman spec'd hunter could do a misdirected aimed shot. Burst damage with a long cast time can be difficult to take advantage of due to LoS and mob positions. Even if it fails to kill outright, this should get their health down under 20% and allows the raid to activate special abilities like execute.
Drain Mana for warlocks will directly drain their mana, Priest's mana burn will not. This has the added benefit of causing negligible threat for the warlock.
Reputation: Provides 15 reputation with The Violet Eye.
Patch changes Edit
- Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): The strategy involving a hunter pulling and feigning to remove their Mana Shield no longer works.